best pig stickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What will the blade Rockwell?????

right now its as soft as mild steel or close to it. I will do a differential heat treatment on this blade maybe tomorrow, the edge should come in 59/60 and will soften as it goes up the spine. I will post some pic's when I get the clay added to the blade before It goes to the forge and quench. In knife making there is hard and there is tough, both characteristics having there plus and minuses, giving the knife a differential heat treatment allows it to have the best of both worlds a hard edge and a tough spine. This one will be a tad bit more challangin since I wil have a hard sharpened swage.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to be at the Wannamaker show? Where will you be setup?

No all my knives, except something like this, are orders and I'm a few months behind, I can never get enough extras to go to a knife show, I can only make a few and most are sold before I even make them. The exceptions to this are experimental knives and the knives I make when I want to do something different and I'm in a rut of filling redundant orders.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i second the "awe of skills". lots of time involved. My son loves knives and has a b-day coming. please count me in. i have had the same two knives in my hunting pack for over 34 years so as you can tell, once i find something i like, it is pretty hard for me to change up. I worked with a guy that would make knives from bastard files that were worn out. it was kinda neat to pick one up and see "bastard" printed near the tang.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to finish a mammoth tooth handled knife, which sucks for me, its nasty and hard to work with. I also made another blank as I like to heat treat two knives when I fire the forge, one is not worth it three i'm too busy... I have added the refactgory cement to the blade this will slow the cooling during the quenc and will leave the steel under the clay softer and more tough, while leaving a good portion of the cutting edges and bevel hard and able to hold a keen edge. Necessary, probably not a well heat treated 3/16 0-1 steel blade will take a major beating, but why not go the extra mile right. It will take the cement a while to dry then into the forge, quench and temper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom