best pig stickers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heat treatment went well, blade came out straight and clay made the entire ride through forge and quench, now for 3 runs through the tempering oven 90min each.

I fitted a brass guard to the knife, so lets talk handle materials, I like green and blue so it will be easy to talk me into that direction. Here is my input I think Ironwood, kirinite blue metal flake or green metal flake, Micarta, or buffalo horn, that would be very nice. I want something tough but nice looking, I doubt I can get any horn to fit this handle shapre and size.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
black linen micarta, nicer looking that g-10 about as bullet proof.

Ironwood the hardest densest most stable wood I know of or have ever worked with. A couple examples as it is wood and you take what nature gives you on these.

buffalo horn very stable, very tough, I used a lot of this at one time, but have not used any in a while, its about my favorite natural material, it comes from water buffalo not American bison.

kirinite but not this color as its a little on the wild side, they have a green or blue metal flake Google it, I am starting to love this material, it stays tacky even when highly polished and wet, this is a knife I actually made for myself to test the material, its very durable.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cool I will wait for more input, It will be a couple weeks as I will not be able to work on knives next weekend, but that gives us time to decide.

AKA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That thing would look good with anything even para cord wrap.
My choices are:
1. Buffalo
2. Ironwood
3. Micarta
Thanks

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bodark is equally hard or harder. Anywho, my choice would be horn, wood, micarta, kirinite in that order.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

I have used a lot of Bodark and love it, its also a pleasure to work with, but it is not as hard as Ironwood, we will have to agree to disagree on that one. With that said it makes an awesome knife handle.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bodark is equally hard or harder. Anywho, my choice would be horn, wood, micarta, kirinite in that order.

But that does sound good and it keeps with the Oklahoma theme as its a native hard wood and I do love it, here it is on a couple knives I made a long while back.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it really depends on what kind of ironwood you are talking about as there are many and they vary on the janka scale.

Those are some pretty handles. Everytime I see another one of your knives I kick myself for not ordering one yet. Soon enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom