Blood sausage ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had German, Mexican, Spanish (MORCILLA), Asian, Irish, french (Boudin Noir) , portuguese, polish, and italian Blood Sausage. I think every culture makes it, but not the same way with the same ingredients. I do not care for any of it except true Italian Blood sausage.

True Italian Blood sausage is traditionally made around Christmas, and is a sweet tasting sausage with pine nuts or raisins or both in it. The ones I am talking about are in link form. They also make it in a dele baloney form with tongue and head cheese in it, I do not care for that one.

The only company that I have found that made true good Italian blood sausage was Columbus out of South San Francisco CA. They no longer make it. Every time I go to California, I am on a quest to find some. I did find a company out of Oakland that made it , I went there and purchased some, it was not as advertized, they said it was Italian, It was not, I do not know what part of italy they were from but it was real bad.

In Oklahoma, I have found none.

For those that thumb their nose at new things, you really do not know what you are missing in life. How do you know you do not like a kind of food unless you try it. Look at Sushi, many people said they would not eat it, and now it is one of the biggest upcoming things to eat.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bun Bo Hue often has cubes of congealed pigs blood as an ingredient. It's got a tofu like consistency and is very bland. Not disgusting at all unless the texture of Tofu bothers you. In Tulsa I believe Kilkennys serves blood sausage. Seems like its on their Irish breakfast menu item.

Hebert's sells boudin (cajun blood saysage). And I think Siegies sells a blood sausage as well. It's all rather bland like Danny said but nothing disgusting unless you have textural issues. I personally can't do dalrwater eek sashimi or sushi but I can handle fresh water eel on my sushi because if the texture differences.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma used to make blood sausage growing up. It was awesome. As she got older, and less capable, we switched that holiday staple over to goat blood pudding, as goat is pretty much all those 80+ years olds can handle on the farm. Still the stickiest of the icky, but man it's good. You just let them bleed out into a pan, and let it congeal. Tasty tasty, especially on some sweet bread.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well look at you, Mr. La-Tee-Da!
There are plenty of new things to try without eating things that our ancestors abandoned centuries ago. Hell, having to eat blood sausage, tongue, and other viscera was probably why our ancestors left their homelands to come to the land of milk and honey in the first place. Screw that liberty crap--I want a steak!

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am by no means am an expert on cowboy's in the cattle drive days. But it seams that I read somewhere that because the cows were so tough from walking a long distance that on the trail they only eat the organs because they were soft and not stringy. And yes I like steaks too, in fact I like prime rib the most. There are several things I do not like but it is not because I have never tried them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom