Blood sausage ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would love to try tacos de lengua (tongue tacos). I hear it's a super flavorful cut of meat!

Not sure if still on the menu, but were served at the Mexican cafe (can't remember the name) in the Broadway Tower, downtown Enid. Great food and tongue tacos were good............I'm always up for something I've not tried on the menu before.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am by no means am an expert on cowboy's in the cattle drive days. But it seams that I read somewhere that because the cows were so tough from walking a long distance that on the trail they only eat the organs because they were soft and not stringy. And yes I like steaks too, in fact I like prime rib the most. There are several things I do not like but it is not because I have never tried them.
As I understand it, cattle that have been driven aren't necessarily stringy, but they end up with a lot of gristle. I'm also given to understand that they rarely had beef on the trail at all, and that mostly what they got were ones that died on the way, which probably wouldn't make for the best eating.

According to Jake McNiece in The Filthy Thirteen, when he killed a cow to provide meat for the officers, he kept the liver and heart because they could be eaten that same day, but the carcass had to be cured for two days, or else anyone who ate the meat would get dysentery. I don't know if that's peculiar to European cattle (or at all, for that matter), but that might also have something to do with it.

I'm not in the liver camp, and never will be--the smell of it cooking very nearly induces vomiting. It's the only thing I've ever smelled that brings that reaction, and I've smelled some foul odors.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

The last I saw on tv looked really good, seems like they made it with finley ground pork, seasonings, barley or some type of grain and of course blood......maybe looks are deceiving in this case.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ingrid's Kitchen has it. If you want really fresh, you might check Wheeler's Meat Market. I thought they used to carry it, and maybe they still do.

It's okay to me, seems a bit more bland than regular sausage, but I'm probably just used to the intensity of typical spicy breakfast sausage.

Man, Wheelers used to have some badass boudin, but not anymore. I'm heartbroken over the whole deal.

I've not had blood sausage that I can remember but I'd try it if the opportunity presented itself. Can't be any worse than some other **** I've eaten. I know I've had blood cake.

Wanna eat something f*cked up? Try sea urchin or just about any Lao dish for that matter.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

The last I saw on tv looked really good, seems like they made it with finley ground pork, seasonings, barley or some type of grain and of course blood......maybe looks are deceiving in this case.

Dude... that's how they do it in Ireland. Really finely ground, and adding in some kind of grain.

Could.
Not.
STAND.
It.

SUCH a different texture to the sausage over there... never mind the taste. Everything in that country was BLAND, but the pure texture of that mushy-ass sausage, I could barely choke it down. Give me a good ol' Ekrich Polska Kielbasa or an Earl Campbell's hotlink ANY day, but that mushy stuff was absolutely unappetizing. I tried to get used to it, I lived there nearly a year, but I absolutely couldn't make myself.

To each his own, but I'll pass.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to try tacos de lengua (tongue tacos). I hear it's a super flavorful cut of meat!

There's a breakfast burrito shop in Hollis that serves this up. It's pretty dang tasty. As is the barbacoa (cheek meat) burritos. It sounds uber disgusting when you think about it, but yeah, it's the most beefy tasting cuts I've ever had.

Menudo on the other hand... Everything in the stew is good, except the tripe. Never could bring myself to order a second bowl.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a breakfast burrito shop in Hollis that serves this up. It's pretty dang tasty. As is the barbacoa (cheek meat) burritos. It sounds uber disgusting when you think about it, but yeah, it's the most beefy tasting cuts I've ever had.

Menudo on the other hand... Everything in the stew is good, except the tripe. Never could bring myself to order a second bowl.

I usually get tripe in my pho, but totally understand why it's not for everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom