Book recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just knock out this series over the last month or so. Same guy who does the Optic tests, writes books. It's pretty decent for a self published author.

1657898303763.png

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading Bury Mt Heart At Wounded Knee and it was very good, informative and actual history. It's hard to believe that it wasn't that long ago that this history happened.
If I find good reviews on a book or see it in..say a national park store, I'll take a photo of it or write down the title and buy it on Ebay at a very reduced price and after I finish reading the book I'll take it to the VA Hospital and donate them to the veterans.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished reading Bury Mt Heart At Wounded Knee and it was very good, informative and actual history. It's hard to believe that it wasn't that long ago that this history happened.
If you liked that one, try Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne and The Heart of Everything That Is by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. Empire is about the Comanches, and Heart is about Red Cloud, the Sioux chief who first defeated the US in a war. At the time, the papers called it Red Cloud's War, although it has conveniently been left out of most history textbooks, aside from its largest engagement, the Fetterman Massacre.

Neither are of the "evil white man trampled on the Noble Savage" ilk; both tell a detailed but neutral story, like good histories should.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've mentioned, but I don't remember if I've actually recommended, Ric Prado's Black Ops, his autobiography. It begins with his childhood in pre-Castro Cuba, covering his experiences during the revolution and escape to the US, his teenage years on the fringe of criminal activities, then moves on to his time as a PJ, and finally to the bulk of his career in the CIA's ground branch. He conducted covert operations with the Contras in Honduras and Nicaragua, as well as paramilitary operations in the Philippines, and covert operations in an unnamed African country, eventually rising to the equivalent of a Major General in the CIA's command structure.

If you want a taste of what's in his book, watch/listen to this episode of Jack Carr's Danger Close podcast with Ric. Unlike our @RickN , this one wont require any eye bleach. :D

ETA: I particularly liked his descriptions of dealing with the Norks (especially the ones he burned), and his description of Diane Feinstein's inability to understand that what she wanted the CIA to do was an act of war was just mind-boggling.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"try Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne." Yep, I enjoyed that very much.
Another good book by SC Gwynne is "Rebel Yell" . A biography about Stonewall Jackson.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started Swords of Lightning: Green Beret Horse Soldiers and America's Response to 9/11, about Special Forces ODA 595, the soldiers who rode horses into combat against the Taliban in 2001. Two of the authors were leaders of ODA 595; Mark Nutsch was the officer in command, and Senior Warrant Officer Rob Pennington was his second in command, and this book tells the story from, primarily, their perspective.

Nutsch and Pennington are also principals in Horse Soldier Bourbon, which they started as an excuse to visit scotch distilleries (at least that's what they said on Jack Carr's podcast :drunk5:).

I've just gotten to the part where they finally got to infil into Afghanistan, and it's a heck of a tale so far.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just finished reading Damn Lucky. Great story about a WWII B-17 pilot. Definitely give it a read if you’re looking for something. My only complaint is I would have liked to hear what happened to some of his crew after the war but that’s minor. @SoonerP226 add it to your list!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything, so far anyway, by John Gierach.

He is a Colorado fly fisherman and writer, and also writes about hunting, camping, road trips, etc.

Try the books: LINK

I prefer his earlier works.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just finished reading Damn Lucky. Great story about a WWII B-17 pilot. Definitely give it a read if you’re looking for something. My only complaint is I would have liked to hear what happened to some of his crew after the war but that’s minor. @SoonerP226 add it to your list!
Thanks for the rec, but I've actually already read it.

I'm currently working on Terrorist Attack Girl by Meyli Chapin. She was in the hotel in Nairobi that was attacked by terrorists a few years back, and it's her story about not just the attack, but her resulting PTSD and recovery from it. The attack, from her perspective, is the through-line of the story, but it's interspersed with fragments of her life in the aftermath (as she calls it, ATA--After Terrorist Attack).

FWIW, I'm actually listening to the Audible version, which is read by Meyli herself. Man, I'm not sure I could narrate the worst days of my life...

You may remember the attack because of "Obi Wan Nairobi," Christian Craighead, an SAS operator who just happened to be shopping in Nairobi when the terrorists detonated the bombs at the start of the attack. Completely on his own, he ran back to his truck, grabbed his gear, and ran to the sound of the guns, successfully rescuing numerous hotel guests.

Craghead has a book on the attack from his perspective, but apparently the UK's Ministry of Defence is harder to work with than the DoD, so it's still tied up in their review process (at least it was back when he talked to Evan Hafer on the BRCC podcast a few months ago),

Latest posts

Top Bottom