BOOM Stick!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10” barrels? Wonder at what distance the buckshot pattern opens up larger than 18” ?

I've patterned my SBS shotguns with 11 and 14 inch barrels and the pattern is not really different than the 18.5 shotgun I tested them against. All were cylinder bore, no choke. Patterns were about the same.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s interesting about the pattern. I did a fair amount of pattern testing thirty years or so ago, trying to understand more about choke constriction, barrel length. Fired #8 birdshot, #4 and 00 Buckshot, trying to determine at what distance the pattern spread becomes useless. For Buckshot self defense purposes, I seem to remember not feeling too confident at the look of patterns past 25-30 yards. Also tried a pistol grip only Rem 870 w/18” barrel, three shots as fast as I could work the slide action. Was dismayed to experience “short shucking”, jams, double feeds, bolt shut on an empty chamber when my speed attempted, exceeded my skill level at that point. Also the grip just about recoiled itself out of my strongest grip. Would not attempt firing Buckshot out of a shorter, lighter shotgun at this time.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was dismayed to experience “short shucking”, jams, double feeds, bolt shut on an empty chamber when my speed attempted, exceeded my skill level at that point. Also the grip just about recoiled itself out of my strongest grip. Would not attempt firing Buckshot out of a shorter, lighter shotgun at this time.

1. Operator error, not gun malfunctions. Which you identified. Those pistol grips may look tacticool to some people, but they are a bear to shoot.

2. Buckshot does not matter. The pay load, ie. 1 1/2oz, remains the same. Regardless of size. 9s to Buck.
The powder load, listed as dram equiv (a reference back to BP); along with the shot payload is how you can relatively compare recoil.
Game load is typically, 2 3/4 DE 1oz
Field load is 3 1/4 DE 1 1/4 oz and will recoil more.
Heavy Field is 3 3/4 DE may carry as much as 1 5/8 oz load. With a pistol grip and a light weight gun, they KICK.

I got an extremely good deal, on a Presentation Grade Coach Gun. The original purchaser bought the gun. It has 3" chambers. He bought a box of Heavy Turkey Loads. MAX DE (>4) 1 3/4oz 6s
18" barrel SxS, he fired 1 round and sold the gun.
I have shot it extensively, at Cowboy Action and it is flawless.
I tried some 3" heavy loads, once. Those are for the 8# 870.

Latest posts

Top Bottom