bug out vehicle or foot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vehicles are a nice way to travel and be a little more secure inside the vehicle, but also a bigger target to everyone who wants it. That is if you actually have any fuel

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vehicles are a nice way to travel and be a little more secure inside the vehicle, but also a bigger target to everyone who wants it. That is if you actually have any fuel

I keep my truck at least half way full all the time. It's basically my "E" mark. That will be enough to get where I need to go. Luckily I don't live in a very urbanized area and should be able to get out with little to no issues. I know of 5 different routes I can take in case one is a no-go. I just hope to get out during the lull.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might consider storing fuel at your home and BOL if you have one. If you can make it there, you can always refuel and go back into the cities for more supplies, if that's doable. Sitting in line at the gas station is the last place you would want to be in a crisis. If there is a bank holiday for example, no credit cards to buy gas with, that means anyone in line at the pump is buying with cash. It won't take long for the bangers to figure that out.

Beerzerker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often wonder what the point is of having a full sized truck as a bug out... Seriously, does it have a 4 banger in it or a huge fuel tank?

Anyone have a reason to drive around? I guess I could head up to the farm in north Saskatchewan, as long as it aint winter that is :)

I would drive if I had a place to go. This will be my bug out vehicle. May need to get a camo wrap done on it to blend in better. I have never got stuck in it yet and it has been well tested. Room for 9 people and supplies. Really will only need to haul 4 people, so more room for supplies.

i168.photobucket.com_albums_u184_2slowTA_3e01bafa.jpg

That's an old pic, have upgraded it since then, but you get the idea. I am thinking a winch will be a good future upgrade as well.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think it depends on what event causes you to bug. If an EMP goes off, most people aren't bugging anywhere in a car. Only pre-1978-ish vehicles will run, and then only maybe. Even in the nuclear atmospheric testing of the 1950's, several of those pre solid-state electronic cars were disabled. The Compton Effect is the real deal, and allows some horribly primitive enemies a way to set us waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back. Congress completed a very detailed study of what an EMP would do to us. They estimate that within a year of being hit, over 90% of the population would die. This report would have made waves, but was released on the morning of 9/11/01. Kind of got lost in the shuffle, but it should still all be on our minds as we prep.

A great book on the subject is "One Second After" by William Forstchen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom