Building Codes in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to lease a space in a strip mall. I'm going to be putting up walls for offices. I've searched the web trying to find a list of requirements for interior walls but I'm not having any luck. Can anyone tell me if they have to be a certain distance from ceiling. The ceiling is a drop ceiling. If they go to the ceiling, do they have to go all the way to the roof? What about walls that separate my unit from my neighbors? Are they supposed to go all of the way up to roof? I'd ask the landlord but he doesn't seem to know much nor does he seem to be the type to follow codes to the T.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your a new occupancy you'll probably be getting a visit from the building Dept/ fire marshalls office.

Are you putting up physical walls like Sheetrock and stud walls or cubicle walls?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call Okc planning department. Any time walls are moved, or built, plans are supposed to be submitted and approved. If the fire marshal does get involved, it will depend on occupancy use.

Not uncommon you're getting very little assistance from the landlord. Any improvements or changes to your space become property of the owner once completed. Don't expect any reimbursement unless you have a contract beforehand.

Here is a link to City Planning. https://okc.gov/departments/planning

If you need help from the Fire Marshal, call 297-3584.

Latest posts

Top Bottom