Cabelas Gun Purchase SNAFU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
I went into Cabelas on Memorial on the 23rd to buy a Savage 555 that they had on sale for a good price. I've never bought a gun from there; they are usually way to high on guns, but it was $549.

I was yapping with the salespeople, and my wife, not paying attention, and on the electronic background check clicked that I had a felony AND that i was under indictment for a felony. I'll admit, I wasn't reading the questions fully. So, obviously, I was denied. I wasn't all that upset. They told me to go to the Sheriffs office in the county I live in (Logan) and get a background check to show I dont have a felony, and they would do it again.

Sheriff said they should look it up on OSCN, that should be good enough, if anything. They insisted there was no need for a formal background check. Same thing from another agency; just go back in and buy it.

So I went back, filled out the form correctly this time, passed. But then the salespeople huddled in the back, manager came out and said "on the 23rd you answered you have a felony. I won't sell this to you until you come back with a background check saying otherwise."

I explained that I already went to the sheriff where I live, they said no need. He said again that they wouldnt sell me a gun until they see the background check. I said I asked 2 agencies, both said there was no need for this and that Cabelas shouldnt have my previous answers on file. I asked him point blank twice if they have my name, info, and responses in a database. He would not answer that.

Found the shotgun for the same price at a small shop, explained the issue to them, they had no problem selling it to me.

I screwed up at Cabela's, I'm not upset they wouldn't sell me the gun first time around, but I don't like it that they are holding me as a felon in some database that I cannot see. I asked them to go ahead and ban me for life from buying guns there, just remove the felon part. I don't care because they are overpriced anyway, but they wont acknowledge the database with my name in it.

I've become much more aware of how the background check works all of a sudden, and I get why they are concerned over their liability of who they sell to. But, they should make it clear they may keep a separate set of files on you. Had I have known that, I wouldn't even have considered purchasing a gun from them.

So beware, looks like Cabela's will keep your records, info, and responses in a database. Wonder if it will change what mailers I get from them? Maybe move me into a different demographic?

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at the Cabelas Gun counter in WA, if you have any questions you can PM me. It's not their fault you messed up on the 4473. It happens every once in a while. In WA you go to state patrol pay $16 for a print out saying your a good guy, and done. How is Cabelas overpriced when they price match brick & mortar with in 50 miles?

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
I worked at the Cabelas Gun counter in WA, if you have any questions you can PM me. It's not their fault you messed up on the 4473. It happens every once in a while. In WA you go to state patrol pay $16 for a print out saying your a good guy, and done. How is Cabelas overpriced when they price match brick & mortar with in 50 miles?

Yes, they price match with brick and mortar places, but they don't even come close to the prices at smaller shops like Guys and Gals, or online places like Buds Gun Shop, even with a transfer fee. The brick and mortar stores, aren't there to sell guns; they are there to sell ammo, shirts, boots, etc. Which is fine. I think the people who buy guns at Cabela's are people who either don't know where to go to get guns at a good price or are from out of town and don't want to wait on something to be shipped in.

Sure, I could have gone to OSBI and paid $15 to clear it up with Cabelas. But that adds $15 to the cost of the gun. So I went elsewhere, didn't pay the $15, and in Logan county where the sales tax is less, ended up saving about $25. And supported a small business that doesn't keep a database on me.

I'm not saying I'm done with Cabela's altogether, when they put primers on sale its hard to beat their prices. But I wont try to buy guns there any longer. And I want people to be aware, because Cabela's doesn't make it clear, that they keep their own database and background check on people.

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
That sucks, but I can understand their position.

Yeah, I understand why they do it, just wish they would post it out in the open that you will or may end up on their internal database. Then I would have had the choice to put myself in the potential position to be on such a list.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand why they do it, just wish they would post it out in the open that you will or may end up on their internal database. Then I would have had the choice to put myself in the potential position to be on such a list.

Just a heads up, from now on, when you do business with ANY large retail store, you have a potential to have your information entered in their system.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they price match with brick and mortar places, but they don't even come close to the prices at smaller shops like Guys and Gals, or online places like Buds Gun Shop, even with a transfer fee. The brick and mortar stores, aren't there to sell guns; they are there to sell ammo, shirts, boots, etc. Which is fine. I think the people who buy guns at Cabela's are people who either don't know where to go to get guns at a good price or are from out of town and don't want to wait on something to be shipped in.

Sure, I could have gone to OSBI and paid $15 to clear it up with Cabelas. But that adds $15 to the cost of the gun. So I went elsewhere, didn't pay the $15, and in Logan county where the sales tax is less, ended up saving about $25. And supported a small business that doesn't keep a database on me.

I'm not saying I'm done with Cabela's altogether, when they put primers on sale its hard to beat their prices. But I wont try to buy guns there any longer. And I want people to be aware, because Cabela's doesn't make it clear, that they keep their own database and background check on people.

I'm not sure what your complaint is, they are doing their due diligence. Someone just came in and tried to buy a gun and said they had a felony. You act like they wronged you or something by covering their arse after your mistake. Life is too short.

All this being said, Cabelas is trash and personally, I'd spend more not to shop there, so it sounds like you came full circle to where you should've gone in the first place. Life has a funny way of working out sometimes eh?

Latest posts

Top Bottom