Cabelas Gun Purchase SNAFU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Discover card has been hacked twice, both times at Cabelas. I no longer do business with Cabelas unless I have the cash on me, which isn't often cause I prefer not to carry large amounts of cash.

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your complaint is, they are doing their due diligence. Someone just came in and tried to buy a gun and said they had a felony. You act like they wronged you or something by covering their arse after your mistake. Life is too short.

All this being said, Cabelas is trash and personally, I'd spend more not to shop there, so it sounds like you came full circle to where you should've gone in the first place. Life has a funny way of working out sometimes eh?

As I said before, I understand why they did that. My complaint is that they don't make it clear up front that they will keep a database on you, and wont let you see it, review it, etc. And I didn't put this up her to complain; rather to let people know that who knows what they have back there on file about you beyond the ATF required files. Such as a gun registry beyond what is required? So yeah as I said, I went elsewhere, learned my lesson, and am trying to pass it on.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Personally, if I were an FFL I’d keep a list of felons that try to buy firearms from me. I would also be very skeptical of a person that claiming they accidentally lied before but are now telling the truth.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My complaint is that they don't make it clear up front that they will keep a database on you, and wont let you see it, review it, etc. ...who knows what they have back there on file about you beyond the ATF required files. Such as a gun registry beyond what is required?
All the information the sales people at Cabelas needed to determine that you had been denied previously can be found on a Form 4473. In your OP, you said,
But then the salespeople huddled in the back, manager came out and said "on the 23rd you answered you have a felony. I won't sell this to you until you come back with a background check saying otherwise."
What they were doing in the back was going through the current year's 4473 file, probably because a sales person remembered your attempting to purchase the gun previously. There is a folder for denied 4473s and all denied 4473s for the current year go into that file, as required by the ATF. When they found your prior 4473, they had to follow store policy.

As for the sheriff saying that the store should look up your background on OSBI, the simple answer is they can't. I find it hard to believe that the sheriff actually thinks that OSBI would allow its database to be accessed by an outside, private concern. In my quick research of obtaining background checks from the OSBI, the request must be in writing; submitted either in person, by fax, or by mail, with the results being returned in the manner submitted. There is also a mandatory $15 charge for any records check. The sheriff is an idiot if he thinks that the store--any store--would eat an expense like that to make a sale.

I do see that your eyes have been opened to one fact--that the NICS system is a de facto gun registry. How? When the FFL receives a "PROCEED" from NICS and sells you the firearm, they must note the make, model and serial number of any and all firearms (including serialized lower receivers) on the 4473 form and file the form, holding it for 20 years. While it's not an immediately accessible, computer-searched database, it is a database nonetheless.

The takeaway? Filling out a 4473 is a serious business. Whether on paper or on a computer, be careful, even anal, about filling out the form. On the electronic version, take the time to review your answers to section A--the system allows you to do it. I've seen people make stupid mistakes filling out the section. Remember, those questions are designed for one reason and one reason alone--to trip you up if at all possible.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, if I were an FFL I’d keep a list of felons that try to buy firearms from me. I would also be very skeptical of a person that claiming they accidentally lied before but are now telling the truth.
If you were a FFL, you would be required by the ATF to keep a list of felons--actually, a list of those that have been denied the right to purchase a firearm--as part of the NICS system.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they price match with brick and mortar places, but they don't even come close to the prices at smaller shops like Guys and Gals, or online places like Buds Gun Shop, even with a transfer fee. The brick and mortar stores, aren't there to sell guns; they are there to sell ammo, shirts, boots, etc. Which is fine. I think the people who buy guns at Cabela's are people who either don't know where to go to get guns at a good price or are from out of town and don't want to wait on something to be shipped in.

Sure, I could have gone to OSBI and paid $15 to clear it up with Cabelas. But that adds $15 to the cost of the gun. So I went elsewhere, didn't pay the $15, and in Logan county where the sales tax is less, ended up saving about $25. And supported a small business that doesn't keep a database on me.

I'm not saying I'm done with Cabela's altogether, when they put primers on sale its hard to beat their prices. But I wont try to buy guns there any longer. And I want people to be aware, because Cabela's doesn't make it clear, that they keep their own database and background check on people.
That small shop keeps record of you. That 4473.

Latest posts

Top Bottom