Can buzzards kill chickens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There used to be lots of breeders of fighting roosters here, now these birds are mostly gone. Any idea what an older mean one would cost? I've got to get some mean roosters into the chicken yard - ones that will attack anything...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure even a fighting rooster will be much use against something like you're describing? I dunno, I've got no experience with that, though... just doesn't sound like much of a match.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure even a fighting rooster will be much use against something like you're describing? I dunno, I've got no experience with that, though... just doesn't sound like much of a match.

They've got those spurs and that beak. They grab on and start spurring. Am on line looking at ordering some Old English Games, but man, they are expensive. What I really need is two or three full grown males, I will be asking around today for some. I need them quick.

Edit: I've got two Jersey black giant roosters and one Plymouth barred rock rooster. They are very tame and will eat out of my hand and let me hold them. This is my fault, and these roosters are useless against a predator like this. I need a rooster that will try to take my hand off when I offer it food.

Last edited:

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet two or three bad ass roosters running loose in a pen would quickly be reduced to the single baddest assed rooster. I could be wrong, but I always see them staked to the ground out of each others reach.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bet two or three bad ass roosters running loose in a pen would quickly be reduced to the single baddest assed rooster. I could be wrong, but I always see them staked to the ground out of each others reach.

I'm willing to try it, though. This thing has killed 30 chickens.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have lost chickens to eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, and bobcats, but never a buzzard; that I know of. The smaller ones are going to be the natural first choice of predators. Free ranging is going to be more opportunistic to predators than a net covered pen. A good scoped .223 and a little diligence will slow the problem, a Rooster will NOT. We have a huge Red Leghorn and he rules the roost, but no help in an air attack of snatch and grab. Multiple roosters will result in 1 head rooster and subordinate roosters or none.

Latest posts

Top Bottom