Can buzzards kill chickens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Harassing them is against the law as well.....as well as trapping them...just sayin.

We catch them often in our cage traps set for bobcats with duck carcasses tie to the back. We release them, usually to be caught again on another day. The one in my pic above was eating the opossums that I'd catch and discard. We met at the same spot every day for about two weeks about 4pm, lol.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We catch them often in our cage traps set for bobcats with duck carcasses tie to the back. We release them, usually to be caught again on another day. The one in my pic above was eating the opossums that I'd catch and discard. We met at the same spot every day for about two weeks about 4pm, lol.

Over the years ive caught several hawks and owls. They wernt targeted but caught just the same. I let them go. In case any GWs are reading, the ones that preyed on my chickens were returned to nature too.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does he look like this by chance?
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_52493_1360198189794_zpsfbda6193.jpg

I watched him for about three seconds as he flew away from about 75 feet, he was perched high in the elm tree, watching the chickens. I saw him more from the rear, he was darker than this one in the pic and had a broad wingspan. Like a buzzard's. He flapped his wings like a hawk. Maybe up close he might have appeared more like this one, but I don't know.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just now saw him, and he saw me. He was in the elm tree in the chicken yard. He flew off. He's no buzzard. If he's a hawk, he's the biggest hawk I've ever seen. I always have a handgun on me - I'll fire into the air if I can get my plugs in fast enough. He is definitely very big. Maybe a gunshot will scare him off for good.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/golden_eagle/id

Latest posts

Top Bottom