Can buzzards kill chickens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have lost chickens to eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, and bobcats, but never a buzzard; that I know of. The smaller ones are going to be the natural first choice of predators. Free ranging is going to be more opportunistic to predators than a net covered pen. A good scoped .223 and a little diligence will slow the problem, a Rooster will NOT. We have a huge Red Leghorn and he rules the roost, but no help in an air attack of snatch and grab. Multiple roosters will result in 1 head rooster and subordinate roosters or none.

Too late. My son is checking with his friends whose step dads have game cocks. I want to put a combat veteran in there...

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just now saw him, and he saw me. He was in the elm tree in the chicken yard. He flew off. He's no buzzard. If he's a hawk, he's the biggest hawk I've ever seen. I always have a handgun on me - I'll fire into the air if I can get my plugs in fast enough. He is definitely very big. Maybe a gunshot will scare him off for good.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In California, the farmers are required to remove all dead animals from their fields. This has turned the local buzzards into fierce predators. They always go for the easy food, which means scavenging. However, when food is scarce, they will go for live targets.

I can't find the original story from cali, but this is a similar story from Europe. In Cali, they are not allowed to shoot the buzzards.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v480/n7378/full/480457b.html

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is this your first time raiseing chickens? This is the hawks time of year. Either lockup your chickens or kill the hawks and accept the consequences.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only avian specie with no hunting season and unlimited bag limits are the English sparrow and the common starling.
I'd advise against shooting it. Some birds of prey have RF xmitters implanted as part of a study group.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is this your first time raiseing chickens? This is the hawks time of year. Either lockup your chickens or kill the hawks and accept the consequences.

These are old birds, 8 years old. Never had air attacks - ever. If this was a hawk, it was the biggest I've ever seen. It was about the size of a buzzard, and was black. But it flew like a hawk. Maybe it was a hawk, but it was as big as a buzzard. I'm not going to kill it, but I'm going outside with plugs in, so that if I see it I can shoot up into the air and scare it off. The carcass was gone this morning, and I was going to use that in the live catch trap.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Does he look like this by chance?
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_52493_1360198189794_zpsfbda6193.jpg

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These are old birds, 8 years old. Never had air attacks - ever. If this was a hawk, it was the biggest I've ever seen. It was about the size of a buzzard, and was black. But it flew like a hawk. Maybe it was a hawk, but it was as big as a buzzard. I'm not going to kill it, but I'm going outside with plugs in, so that if I see it I can shoot up into the air and scare it off. The carcass was gone this morning, and I was going to use that in the live catch trap.

Harassing them is against the law as well.....as well as trapping them...just sayin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom