Carrying a backup CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the CCW class in Dec 2009. The instructor stated that you could only carry one handgun and told us where to look in the Oklahoma Self Defense Act booklet. (The booklet used in class was older than the booklet I have now.) I looked it up in class and saw where it said one handgun. Now I have a copy of the Self Defense Act booklet dated Nov 1, 2009 and can’t find the info about only being allowed to carry one handgun. Has the law changed to allow carrying a backup up.

John64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the difference between one and A. I complained and made a big deal in the class about not having the option of having a backup. The instructor told me only LEO needed a backup, and to carry a revolver if I was worried about reliability. I read the booklet in class, it might not have said "one", but the way it was worded, you knew to only carry one handgun.

Are you saying there is nothing about only carrying one handgun. I want to carry a backup, but don't want to break the law.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be confusing when instructors inject their personal feelings in the class and they don't make it clear that it's just their point of view.

My instructor (a LEO) mentioned that he felt everyone should have a back up. Then, he had all of us peruse through the SDA book and double check. We couldn't find anything in the law that says we couldn't have one. Something I really liked was that he would always have us verify our thoughts on things (and his thoughts on things) by looking it up.

(disclaimer) - I'm not really an attorney, I just play one on the internet. ;)

edit...Funny thing is that this post got me interested, and I just re-read the whole SDA law to double check. It's actually very interesting, and it doesn't take long to go through.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a new instructor. He is incorrect.

The statute USED TO say "a pistol or a revolver or a derringer".

This was brought up to the legislature and they changed the language as it could have been implied that a license holder was only allowed to carry one or the other at a time.

Instructors should not veer into areas they don't understand.

Michael Brown

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA wording is not real specific, but has nothing stating that multiple weapons are prohibited. This paragraph seems to say multiple guns are allowed:
TITLE 21 § 1290.19. 12. Authorized pistol to be either: (D) derringer, (R) revolver, (S) semiautomatic pistol, or some combination of derringer, revolver and semiautomatic pistol as may be authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act for which the person demonstrated qualification pursuant to the certificate of training or an exemption certificate.

Since the Act also allows SDA license holders to carry loaded (but chamber empty) rifles and shotguns in their vehicles it would really seem that there is no legislative intent to restrict the number of guns.

At least that is the way I teach and enforce it.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP's CC instructor is brain dead. Backup handguns are most definitely NOT illegal in the SDA statute. If you don't carry a backup, you're asking for trouble, IMHO.

Even if it were illegal, I would still carry a backup. I'd rather do time for having an "illegal" BUG, than be a victim because my primary firearm malfunctioned or was taken from me in a struggle with the BG. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a new instructor. He is incorrect.

The statute USED TO say "a pistol or a revolver or a derringer".

This was brought up to the legislature and they changed the language as it could have been implied that a license holder was only allowed to carry one or the other at a time.

Instructors should not veer into areas they don't understand.

Michael Brown

+1

When I was doing the UT classes, I started passing out copies of the SDA because so many people with OK CHL had gross misinformation about OK law.
Even when shown the applicable SDA paragraph, some would continue to argue, "but this guy said........"
Whatever a person hears first may stick with them, so we all need to be careful to "follow the book!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom