Casting - Sand mold Materials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do some green sand metal casting. You might want to check out this yahoo groups web site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castinghobby/ Also you should really check out the David Gingery books on back yard metal casting. The first two books in the series show you how to build a furnace out of a 5 gallon metal pail, build patterns, brew up a batch of green sand, etc. As someone else mentioned there are some really good videos on youtube demonstrating the process. Search under Gingery and look for a series produced by tubalcain (sp?).

Tubalcain's username is MrPete222, the one I suggested. I think I've watched every metalworking episode he has out, and several of the other steam engine videos he has as well. His videos have been a great resource for me in my machinist class, and I make sure and check for new ones every few days.

I'm going to have to check out those Gingery books though, those sound cool. Thanks for the tip!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some foundry work and jewelery casting years ago.

You have to be careful with the moisture content of your sand, you need some moisture for the sand to hold it's shape but as has been mentioned too much moisture is bad juju.

For small stuff I wouldn't screw with the sand casting I would go ahead and investment cast (lost wax plaster mold).

Latest posts

Top Bottom