Casting - Sand mold Materials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what little I know about casting, any water or moisture near molten metal is a deathwish.

lol, no no your right. Really I was kidding more than anything for casting something as heavy as lead. We used to use this all the time though. You do let your castings dry VERY well. My dad used to even set some in a kiln type thing, but I believe there was a different reason there(cast material?).

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE..

Well, with much effort I found the Bentonite here locally but had to buy a 100 pound bag of it of which I have only used about a half pound of. I made batches of greensand from blasting media (silica based) and filter sand. Both do pretty well. My only issue at the moment is the parting powder. It needs to repel moisture and the powdered limestone I am using just does an okay job. I have heard that black chalk box chalk made by Stanley works very well but it just sounds too messy.

The moisture is not a problem at all unless you get the sand too wet. Id say that 1 cup of water for 2 1/2 gallons of sand is too much. Some people use ND 30w motor oil instead of the water because it does not steam so I might try that.

Once I get good with Lead I'm going to give brass and Aluminum a go but I'll have to make a crucible to get the metal that hot

If anyone wants to give it a try let me know an I'll give you some Bentonite which is the only hard thing to find

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you already have watched this guys videos, look up mrpete222 on youtube. He has quite a few really good garage foundry videos, and he's a hell of a good teacher to boot.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mixing casting sand is a fine art. It's easy to get it too wet. You want to use bentonite, as already mentioned, with fine sand. Then you slowly start adding water. Unless you have a machine, mixing is tedious. The bentonite will instantly absorb the water and clump, so you have to mix it and condition it until it's nice and smooth.

If you get it too wet, it will boil the water out when you pour, and you'll see your metal bubbling. This will cause poor quality and voids. One way to help prevent this is to heat your mold cavity with a torch prior to using it to help set the sand and evaporate the water.

You want it just wet enough so that you can take a handful and squeeze it and it will hold its form. Also, make sure your forms have plenty of draft on them, or you'll be cussing trying to get the mold to release and leaving bits of itself behind. Some talcum powder in a sock helps. You can dust your form with it.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do some green sand metal casting. You might want to check out this yahoo groups web site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castinghobby/ Also you should really check out the David Gingery books on back yard metal casting. The first two books in the series show you how to build a furnace out of a 5 gallon metal pail, build patterns, brew up a batch of green sand, etc. As someone else mentioned there are some really good videos on youtube demonstrating the process. Search under Gingery and look for a series produced by tubalcain (sp?).

Latest posts

Top Bottom