CCL with non-carry guns in the Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was driving the other day and started thinking..... If I get pulled over I have an unloaded shotgun tucked in the backseat (about 20% visable). I was not carrying (:loser:) at the time but should I LEGALLY be required to provide my permit and advise of the gun?

Now what if it was an unloaded handgun in the backseat out of reach.

Now unloaded in reach.....

I am just asking where you feel legally required to notify, not what would be ethical or morally correct.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title 21 § 1289.7
any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at
any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying
firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or
a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of
the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The
authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to section 1289.13 of this title.

Sounds like it (referring to the pistol) needs to be in a case or rack if it's in the cab with you - otherwise, you have a duty to inform.

Last edited:

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was driving the other day and started thinking..... If I get pulled over I have an unloaded shotgun tucked in the backseat (about 20% visable). I was not carrying (:loser:) at the time but should I LEGALLY be required to provide my permit and advise of the gun?

Now what if it was an unloaded handgun in the backseat out of reach.

Now unloaded in reach.....

I am just asking where you feel legally required to notify, not what would be ethical or morally correct.

You only have to inform if you are carrying under the conditions of the SDA. If the firearms are unloaded, you are not carrying under the SDA, simply transporting a firearm and there is no duty to inform in that case. However, if you are asked if there are weapons in the vehicle it would probably be in your best interest to answer truthfully.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
is a long gun chamber empty but mag or clip loaded still covered under cc

title 21 § 1289.13
except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the oklahoma self-defense act or another provision of law, it shall
be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway.
However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an
exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle
notwithstanding the provisions of section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license
pursuant to the oklahoma self-defense act.

Latest posts

Top Bottom