'No longer be soft targets': Ohio school allowing teachers to carry guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"And while the debate on teachers carrying guns divides communities, no one wants to see another school shooting."

Guns in general divide the nation right now unfortunately, it doesn't have anything to do with the schools particularly.

The goal
For teachers is to teach; not save or protect kids from a violent encounter
It's bigger than that though now. The goal, is to be able to save your life, and your student's lives in the event that deadly force(firearm, knife, etc) is present and being used you/them. Violent encounters are fists, chairs, etc, and no firearm is necessary for that, we're not talking about that.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t know how to fight and how to securely carry a concealed weapon then you aren’t a candidate for doing so. Nothing wrong with admitting your shortcomings. However there may be other teachers who are able to do so because of their mindset, previous training and experience.
Lol. There’s probably Not another public school teacher in Oklahoma with my skills, mindset and training. And cleet certified to boot.
my only “position” in this matter
Is this, “ very few teachers would want to carry in schools, and I am not one of them.”
We have a good SRO and I’m fine with him being the one hired gun in the place.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about that statement. I personally know a couple of female teachers in Ponca that would carry them willingly slung on their shoulders. They say there are others with the same mindset.
They aren't unfamiliar with firearms and don't want to see harm come to their students.
I don’t teach in ponca so I can’t say. If there’s not a dedicated school resource officer, and I’m in a smal ruralish school it would be difffernt. I’d probably ask the superintendent for permission to carry, which is currently the law.
My experience is one school, yes, but it’s one school more than most of you.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The goal
For teachers is to teach; not save or protect kids from a violent encounter
That is the biggest piece of BS I've heard in a long time. So I suppose then that if a crossing guard sees someone trying to force a little kid into their pedmobile, that crossing guard can just slay, hey not my job to protect them once they step out of the crosswalk.

It's everyone's responsibility to try and protect kids, especially if the teacher is tasked [by the parents/guardian] with responsibility for their kids safety while those kids are in their school/class.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why? Returning vets have every opportunity to join law enforcement or school systems. What part of these two groups would be best for them to join? Most of them likely already have a career path. Most law enforcement agencies are already dealing with budget issues, as are most school systems.

Let’s spend the new money on solving the mental health issues that cause problems such as school, mall, bank, etc. shooting events.
There is not enough money available on this planet to stop a determined person (kid or otherwise) from shooting a place up if that's what they want to do. Best solution so far is to 'harden' up venues so at least they will have to work for those kills and, in all probability, will die themselves in the process.

If by luck they should happen to live, then ensure that their life is a guaranteed short one. No more of this 'aww baby, must have had a poor childhood', or 'but you can't execute a 'child' plea, even though that 'child' just executed X-others, or that person gets a 'free pass' because of race, connections, wealth, or celebrity status.

It's going to be tough, it's going to be hard, but unless we stop with all the same reasons for excusing this behavior it will continue as it has continued for decades. Kids (and adults) need to know that if they commit murder, they themselves, will be executed in a timely manner. No 'forgiveness' when they reach the age of maturity, no 25-years on 'Death Row' going through endless appeals. One or two 'mistaken identity' convictions (and execution) is a small price to pay for literally hundreds of innocent people killed by 'mass shootings' each year, which continue because justice has become a joke in our country.

Vince 1340

Marksman
Reaction score
It’s a comparison. Every “fight” or disturbance that I need to break up becomes a gunfight.
Because I brought one. Granted this is public high school but that’s my experience
No it isn’t, if a police officer breaks up a fight does he leave his gun behind? No he carries it because he is trained. And it stays holstered. Anyone who goes into a fight situation to break it up needs to mean what they say and be prepared for any weapon to be used on them. You’re just a casualty waiting to happen. And when that fight is one of your own student’s fighting for their lives against an active shooter, as has happened, what heck are you gonna do?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about that statement. I personally know a couple of female teachers in Ponca that would carry them willingly slung on their shoulders. They say there are others with the same mindset.
They aren't unfamiliar with firearms and don't want to see harm come to their students.
Some North Carolina schools have decided to keep a weapon and ammunition locked-up in their school principals' office in case it is needed to thwart a school shooter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ools-ar-15-rifles-wake-uvalde-shoot-rcna41960

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not that many, David. Teachers aren’t firearm enthusiasts like us. They’re mostly Democrats.
That may be the case in your building or even in your district or city, but that's absolutely not the case everywhere, especially in rural Oklahoma. OEA and NEA aren't even that popular in rural OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom