'No longer be soft targets': Ohio school allowing teachers to carry guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CALEDONIA, Ohio (WSYX) - As school districts struggle with the increase in school shootings, there's a divide on how to keep schools safer. Under a new law passed last year, Ohio teachers can now carry guns in school under certain restrictions. And now a central Ohio school is arming its teachers.

River Valley Local School District believes with training allowing their teachers to carry guns will make their buildings safer.

It boils down to response time. The schools sit in a countryside community, and it's that ruralness causing concern for Superintendent Adam Wickham.

Last January, the district sent a letter to parents and staff, a resolution allowing teachers to carry guns. According to the letter, the superintendent says the schools will "no longer be soft targets," and "response times can often be minutes away."

There are deputies that cruise the school area, but the sheriff's office sits some 10 minutes away from the high school.

Grandparent Krista Schweinfurth says that is too far away when every second counts.

"I think it's a good idea to carry a gun," Schweinfurth said. "I think it's a quicker response as long as they are trained. And everything I've read they will be very well trained. More so than what's required."

She worries whether a teacher would be able to pull the trigger. And worries about the post-traumatic stress involved.

And while the debate on teachers carrying guns divides communities, no one wants to see another school shooting.

"It scares me all of the time when you hear there's been a shooting, you pray it's not in a school," Schweinfurth said.

https://ktul.com/news/nation-world/...-ohio-school-allowing-teachers-to-carry-guns#

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do it like the idf, basic ar-15 use and basic marksmanship skills, maybe some advanced training if they want to carry a rifle, then let them teach and walk around the school with them. Ar-15’s are affordable for a school or teacher to pay for. They are easy to learn and most folks with training even basic training can be proficient. Carry out in the open and on their person at all times.

School shootings will stop when the threat to the shooter increases and the failure of their mission is likely.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of parent's concerns in the article is the mental aspects for a teacher. First, whether they could pull the trigger, legitimate question prolly. But the main concern would be the potential for post traumatic stress for the teacher after shooting a perp.

That seems like a pretty stuipid argument to me. Is the goal here to save kids?

I'd think it would be safe to say that everyone involved, armed or not, is going to have ptsd afterword.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think arming teachers is the best way to stop school shootings, especially if no one knows how many are armed and who they are. People vehemently opposed to this because of "feelings" are certainly entitled to their opinions but, in my opinion, bear some responsibility for preventing any meaningful solution. Wringing your hands and confronting a shooter while unarmed doesn't do any good. Teachers are already the last line of defense for students - why wouldn't they be provided with the tool to make them effective? I get sick of hearing "we don't want guns in our schools". I don't know how they can be any more stupid.
Unfortunately there are plenty of people waiting to shoot down any and every solution, no matter how obvious. Loudmouth blowhards that support gun free zones get other people killed.

Last edited:

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion (which isn't worth much) we should be allowing teachers to concealed carry (their option, don't advertise) because when everyone talks about having to stop a student shooter most are past students or are not enrolled in that school and cannot be worried about the one, should be worried about the whole student body. As for the PTSD issue of the teacher afterwards guarantee counselling or any other assistance they might need. and no second guessing the teacher as to their actions ( barring they were not the instigator). - Out

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s hard to believe some of the comments. We say here every day that a good person with a gun is a great defense. Not every teacher will want that responsibility, but many will. And when an emergency arises, it is no longer a student, but an attacker that must be engaged.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s hard to believe some of the comments. We say here every day that a good person with a gun is a great defense. Not every teacher will want that responsibility, but many will. And when an emergency arises, it is no longer a student, but an attacker that must be engaged.
Let us hope so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom