Check out counter at H&H

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've dealt with that guy before both on the floor and checking a gun out. There's no denying he's slow and doesn't have a great grasp on the computer system and it took a painfully long time to checkout and there were several very irritated customers waiting for their turn to buy their gun. However, this same man will do whatever he can to help you find what you are looking for and seems to know a lot about the guns. The fault doesn't fall on him, it falls on management for leaving him the only one up front running gun buys when he's, obviously, a better asset on the floor selling the guns to people. Most of the other workers whiz right through the computer stuff and that's where they should be. There's always workers standing around chatting with the other workers while this poor guy is up to his neck in angry customers and that's not right.

They need to have that older man doing what he does best and that's interacting with customers looking for a gun or anything else for that matter. It's not his fault, whoever put him upfront is to blame. If I remember correctly whoever is the sales guy for that particular gun is also the one who rings it up and does the paperwork so maybe the answer is just assigning "gun checkouts" to someone who stays there and does that all day.

I've seen sales people that wouldn't help you unless you pinned them in the corner and then they'd try to fight their way out, at least this guy is out there doing the job. I had one younger guy try to talk me out of a gun because HE didn't think stainless guns should be used while hunting because they were too shiny. Then I had to demand he go look and see if that particular gun was in stock in stainless. He walked away then came back 20 minutes later, said "no" and walked away. I was not a happy camper and would take the older guy ANY day over that other @sshat.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We all have our specific complaints about every gun store in our specific town. I cannot fathom why someone would bust his chops. He works because he likes to. I think there are some on this board that could use a little dose of Protestant work ethic. He has a great attitude and always a great story. His mind is sharp and he is tough! Ask him about the blizzard a few years ago when he couldn't make it home and spent two days in a roach motel watching movies and had nothing to eat but microwave popcorn. He is the original prepper. I should quit now. Just sayin'...

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people need to learn respect and patience, if your in such a hurry, allot more time to shop.
Being a D-Bag to a Elder just shows how sad of a individual you are.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my $.02
I've been into H&H only a few times. Every time I've been in there, this "old guy" (wish I could remember his name) was the first one to greet me and ask if I needed help with anything. If I passed back by him again, he'd ask again. When I did ask him questions, he more than knew what he was talking about and about what they had in the racks. Only one other person (one of the guys behind the back counter) has gone above and beyond while I was in there.

Other times, I'd see staff huddled up together chatting it up and I'd have to seek them out. I've worked retail before and I know how it goes...especially in a specialized shop like this. And with the recent upturn in sales, it has got to be exhausting at times. I don't necessarily blame them, but at some point you have to realize what your job is and whether or not you want to do it.

The "old guy" is good people in my book. He'd be the reason I'd go back. I can wait in line...an extra 15-20min aint gonna kill me.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, what can I say, I guess I'm a D-bag cuz I had another bad experience at the check out counter at H&H...I guess as a paying customer, my time and satisfaction doesn't mean anything.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, what can I say, I guess I'm a D-bag cuz I had another bad experience at the check out counter at H&H...I guess as a paying customer, my time and satisfaction doesn't mean anything.

Pffft, you think you are right to expect good customer service??? Wtf is wrong with you??? I'm sure the deal you got on what you bought at H&H made it all worth while though.....right? Lol.

Knight92

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the "Old Guy" is just doing the best he can no reason to bust his chops. If you want to bust someone's chops find the manager on duty and ask him why there is no one else including himself at the counter, or on the floor. It is the managers job to run the store ensure everyone is doing their job. Sounds like H&H, having never been there, is suffering from the absentee, or lack of caring owner and/or lack of good management issue. The "Old Guy" is someone I would love to have working for me from the sounds of it, how can you not want someone which is loyal and knowledgeable? I understand it can be frustrating and this is where staffing appropriately comes into play.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait...you got on here complaining about bad service at H & H, then you go back?

Are you a glutton for punishment?

Your complaint is legitimate, but attacking the elderly gentleman on a public forum just ain't right.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your good nature does not oblige me to waste any of my time. Most gunshops are cutting a fat hog and they do not care much about our business one way or the other. This situation sounds like they don't care any more about the elderly worker than they do their customers. I would suspect he does not like the computer work he is challenged with. I would also suspect he is a wealth of knowledge that could give a lot of people some helpful insight. Good businesses are smart about how they use their people, others not so much.

Buy on the internet and avoid the lines, gas expense and check out hassles. I have come across only a few gun shops that I want to support in any way. I wonder why that is?

Latest posts

Top Bottom