Cleaning: Bore Snake or Old Fashioned Rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, I can understand on a microscopic level you're going to reintroduce carbon, but it's still SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner and definately faster than using a rod and patch. Rather, with a rod and patch you leave more carbon in there unless you use a ton of patches, which is your choice of course. :D

I don't get too attached to the patches... I easily go through two dozen patches... same for Q-tips... honestly considering buying stock in them.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like boresnakes too... especially for handguns. 99% of my shooting is with smokless ammo from know makers... My 1911 gets taken down to the last spring and pin every 500 rounds or so... but a "slide off" and boresnake cleans up very well for the shorter sessions.
Most of my revolvers get the same treatment.

I shoot a Garand and 03A3.... the Garand gets a full detail cleaning every trip out... the Remington gets a good bore wiping every trip and a bolt strip nearly every trip. I've stayed away from the know corrosive primers (shot a lot of mil surp Lake City and some greek stuff... the Korean 06 was dirty and I avoid it)

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of boresnaks. I have a few and use em regularly on my AR and 9mm handguns. But every few cleanings with the bore snake I run brush and patches through. That's not saying though that when I use the boresnakes I dont still totally disassemble clean and lube.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
neither, guns are made for shooting not cleaning.Best advise I ever heard was from a well known pistol marksman and record holder.He was asked how he cleans his guns and his reply was "reluctantly"

Matthew77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also imagine that most wives, girlfriends, parents are not going to let you toss your Bore-snake in the washing machine, much less the dryer. Eventually they will tearup both.

I take my bore snake and run it under the water in the sink. Then use a little dish soap and scrub it with my fingers until it foams. Then rinse it out until water runs clean and there is no foam. Hang to dry in the garage and walla! Ready for another use. Total time maybe 5-10 minutes....

Latest posts

Top Bottom