Closed to the Public: Help Us Keep SHOT Show a Place for Business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, it's a professional trade show, not a gun show. It's function is to allow people in the industry to interact and cut deals. It's never officially been open to the public and they are addressing those who are abusing the 'attendee' rule and bringing non-industry folks to the show...heck I heard from one guy who witnessed a dude pushing a shopping cart around scooping all the swag he could get his hands on....he wasn't part of the industry, just collecting swag to sell on Ebay.

I don't see any snobbery or Tony Rumore-esque disdain.

I quit going over 20 years ago when they relaxed the rules and started letting anybody in.
Couldn't fight my way past the looky-loos to place orders. It got to be a waste of time and money to go there.
If I want to finger poke the latest and greatest products, visit old friends and fellow Gunsmiths I just go to the NRA convention. Its more relaxed and the manufacturers are there trying to show their products not take orders.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm.... sounds like there's a market for a public firearms / tactical / outdoor gear/ convention. A place where booth babes, swag, and public revealings of new products, demos, ect. and where consumers can buy or make preorders for stuff shown at the show. Kind of like comic con or a trekkie convention, but for firearms and tactical gear. Wonder how well it'll do if it was held here in OKC at the Cox convention center :) Sponsorships would cover most of the costs. You can charge tiered levels. $35/person per day for general access. $100 / day for extended vip type passes. $200-300 for the platinum pass for all 3 days plus invites to the afterparty and meet and greets, ect. You can have panel discussions regarding the industry, firearms, personal protection, prepping ect... Could do very well actually..... hmmmmm.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "end-user booger-eater" comment doesn't fit in that category to you?

It was a comment from somone posting...not the official position of SHOT. Seems to me that the official position of the SHOT promoters is "let's adhere to the attendee rules and keep this a professional trade show".

There are booger eater end-users just like there are dirt bag dealers...so what. It doesn't mean that a professional trade show should be opened up to the public just to keep a few people from getting butt hurt.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a comment from somone posting...not the official position of SHOT. Seems to me that the official position of the SHOT promoters is "let's adhere to the attendee rules and keep this a professional trade show".

There are booger eater end-users just like there are dirt bag dealers...so what. It doesn't mean that a professional trade show should be opened up to the public just to keep a few people from getting butt hurt.

I didn't think we were talking about SHOT's official position... weren't we discussing the people who are "in the industry" who were responding. Guys like Metcalf and Tony Ramore?

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'd love to go, it's an industry trade show set to allow manufacturers and service provider to show their product to their direct customer. I know that if any joe shmoe were allowed into the gaming shows I attend it would only be more packed and take quality time away from the buyers/distributors and manufacturers. Close it to the public.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the past I was a purchasing agent for a large company. When there was a trade show, we could take a guest or two, so I would get one or two of the folks in the shop to take with me.
I really wanted their input about what would work for them in their individual departments so that I could make informed decisions about future purchases.
I got a different color ID badge that told the vendors I was the money guy. I made sure that the vendors I talked to put their speil out to the guests. They wanted to exclude them, thinking the "money guy" made the decisions.
I did, but it was with the input of those that knew more about it than I did.
I could have went to the latest Shot Show as a "photographer" if my friend would list me as such.
I thought about it seriously as the press people get to shoot all the fun stuff on demo days. But it didn't happen.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of these dealers may have high end clients that essentially pay for their trip to SHOT. Can you really expect a business owner to turn down that kind of deal?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think we were talking about SHOT's official position... weren't we discussing the people who are "in the industry" who were responding. Guys like Metcalf and Tony Ramore?

True...in those cases I don't get upset about 'em, I just try not to do business with them.

People are jerks and a-holes....on the buying and selling end.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not here to defend anyone in particular. Most business owners DO care about their customers. They have to to succeed. Unfortunately, in today's society, there are WAY to many consumers who come into a store, find what they want, complain about the price, function, or form, and then tell you where they will get it online. By all means, get it online, but don't brow-beat the counter help about it. There is almost always a reason "it's cheaper on Amazon" (substitute Buds guns here for firearms).

Latest posts

Top Bottom