Constitutional carry- what’s different other than no permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should be free. We are already funding our government services from OSBI and the county sheriff so no charge.

Really good point but see, why do they need to continue charging us the same as the old ways when we get carry within our own borders for free? I mean hell, Oklahoma apparently must not care anymore about the required training, fingerprints and background check for its own residents within its own borders so why charge us just strictly in the name of satisfying other states requirements? When not to mention that Oklahoma accepts everybody’s permit- irregardless of how strict or how lenient, even if they don’t accept ours, and even accepts every constitutional carry states ID only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really good point but see, why do they need to continue charging us the same as the old ways when we get carry within our own borders for free? I mean hell, Oklahoma apparently must not care anymore about the required training, fingerprints and background check for its own residents within its own borders so why charge us just strictly in the name of satisfying other states requirements? When not to mention that Oklahoma accepts everybody’s permit- irregardless of how strict or how lenient, even if they don’t accept ours, and even accepts every constitutional carry states ID only.

A permit also satisfies the anti's

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are we still at helping a newbie of reading and understanding the new Oklahoma Constitutional Carry laws by sending him to the OSBI site for reading the SDA licensing rules at https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/g...9_SDA_Law_Book-_FINAL_09172019_with_COVER.pdf

And then send them to http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2019-20 ENR/hB/HB2597 ENR.PDF to read with ignoring the strike outs and try to merge the two together in their mind to try to carry legal in Oklahoma?

If they can go through those mental gymnastics, they should be good to go for for understanding Oklahoma no license or what we call "Constitutional Carry" laws and regulations. Right?

If someone hears of something different and a little easier, I would like to have it to pass on to a couple people who really can't/don't want to spend the $ for a license. Thanks.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To repeat myself, there are about 17 states that allow non-permit carry. The rest don't . Some recognize other's permits according to their own standards for recognition.
As to other's states laws, you need to use handgunlaw.us
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Click on the outline of Oklahoma to see what states honor out permit. You can see that Wisconsin only honors our permits issues after 10/1/18.

When we first got Ok permits, only 4 states honored ours.
After a lot of work we now are recognized by about as many as you can get for any state. I really don't appreciate this wide recognition being denigrated.

Click on "Permitless Carry" for a listing of these states and their limitations.
Some, like KY and Vermont, apply to non-residents.

Remember, nobody in the states you visit cares "how you do it back home" or "the way you think it SHOULD be."

Last edited:

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, are we still at helping a newbie of reading and understanding the new Oklahoma Constitutional Carry laws by sending him to the OSBI site for reading the SDA licensing rules at https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/g...9_SDA_Law_Book-_FINAL_09172019_with_COVER.pdf

And then send them to http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2019-20 ENR/hB/HB2597 ENR.PDF to read with ignoring the strike outs and try to merge the two together in their mind to try to carry legal in Oklahoma?

If they can go through those mental gymnastics, they should be good to go for for understanding Oklahoma no license or what we call "Constitutional Carry" laws and regulations. Right?

If someone hears of something different and a little easier, I would like to have it to pass on to a couple people who really can't/don't want to spend the $ for a license. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend that the average layperson try and figure out enrolled legislative language. It's confusing and even to the trained legal eye...it is easy to overlook language that changes a statute significantly. This is why I have recommened that people use OSCN to read the law(s) that are applicable. If there are exceptions or additional statutes, they will be hyperlinked and can make studying much easier.

https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/Index.asp?ftdb=STOKST21&level=1

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my confusion is that you seem to go back and forth between two completely different issues. Is your complaint that (some) other states insist you have a permit? Or is it that Oklahoma still charges for a permit, even though it's only needed in other states?

No, I don't think other states care if or how much you paid for a permit, I'll speculate they just want proof that you passed SOME sort of test. If Oklahoma charges you for that proof, that is on OK, not them.

I don't see that Oklahoma is swindling money since (now) they don't require you to send them any. If other states require you to have a permit, that is on the other state, not Oklahoma since OK does not require one.

There is an associated cost for issuing permits... whether it's reasonable or not is I guess debatable, but it cannot be done without incurring some cost. Either the individuals who want the permits pay the cost, or everyone pays it collectively whether they want one or not.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To repeat myself, there are about 17 states that allow non-permit carry. The rest don't . Some recognize other's permits according to their own standards for recognition.
As to other's states laws, you need to use handgunlaw.us
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Click on the outline of Oklahoma to see what states honor out permit. You can see that Wisconsin only honors our permits issues after 10/1/18.

What exactly are you repeating other than what Wisconsin does?

When we first got Ok permits, only 4 states honored ours.
After a lot of work we now are recognized by about as many as you can get for any state. I really don't appreciate this wide recognition being denigrated.
I guess I don’t understand what exactly it is that you don’t appreciate....

I’m glad that our state has reciprocity with so many states.

Click on "Permitless Carry" for a listing of these states and their limitations.
Some, like KY and Vermont, apply to non-residents.
How up to date is that information? A couple of the other sites I go to really haven’t even updated anything. But it’s cool, and I’m really not all that concerned in it no matter how much it may seem because I still have just under two years left on my permit before I’ll have to decide whether I renew it, or let it go. Most likely I’m gonna keep it because it’s starting to sound like I’m gonna be much better off with it.

Remember, nobody in the states you visit cares "how you do it back home" or "the way you think it SHOULD be."

Completely unnecessary. I know other states don’t care. I know other states have the power to do things how ever they wish. That’s not the point.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my confusion is that you seem to go back and forth between two completely different issues. Is your complaint that (some) other states insist you have a permit? Or is it that Oklahoma still charges for a permit, even though it's only needed in other states?
It’s almost just a combination of the two, but more/less because Oklahoma charges the same high price for the purpose of carrying in other states.

No, I don't think other states care if or how much you paid for a permit, I'll speculate they just want proof that you passed SOME sort of test. If Oklahoma charges you for that proof, that is on OK, not them.
Well, that’s why I said I got it in my last post to you. And I know it’s on Oklahoma for charging for a permit that’s really only for another state other than where you got it.

I don't see that Oklahoma is swindling money since (now) they don't require you to send them any. If other states require you to have a permit, that is on the other state, not Oklahoma since OK does not require one.
So, help me to understand this... you don’t see it as making money from us knowing that since we don’t need a permit for here, that if we wish to travel outside Oklahoma’s borders, we do need a permit and they continue charging us what they did before???.....hmmm.

There is an associated cost for issuing permits... whether it's reasonable or not is I guess debatable, but it cannot be done without incurring some cost. Either the individuals who want the permits pay the cost, or everyone pays it collectively whether they want one or not.

I get it, getting people fingerprinted by the sheriffs department and paying the OSBI to run the background check and make the license isn’t free but they still don’t need to continue charging what they do. That’s stupid. Think about how many people who just won’t do it at all and carry either illegal or not at all because they don’t want to have to pay for a permit or all the other stuff that comes along with it for people who’ve never had one just to carry somewhere else outside of where they can do it for free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom