Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, I used the egg as usual. I just cut the milk a bit, added in sour cream and veg oil. It does come out with more liquid total, but it worked. Last time I made the mix according to the Shawnee Mills package instructions, it was ok, but a bit dry for my taste.

So, it said 3/4 cup milk, I used 1/2 cup. Added about 1/3 cup sour cream and 1/3 cup vegetable oil. And the egg as listed. Came out awesome on top of the Mexican stuff. I can't say how it would be if you cooked it alone, but I think it would be fine, and I intend to do this from now on no matter how I am planning on using it. It was much better cornbread. I might use buttermilk, but I never have that around.

Good deal. Thanks! The wife says we've got all that stuff on hand. I'm like you on the buttermilk. I'd like to try it in various recipes now and then, but we never keep it around. Once in a great while I will think I want some buttermilk to drink but, after two or three sips, I've got all I want!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once in a great while I will think I want some buttermilk to drink but, after two or three sips, I've got all I want!
Not sure if everyone is aware, but there is a huge taste difference between brands of cultured buttermilk.

IIRC, "Hiland" (sp?) is the best one I've ever tasted (their cottage cheese is also very good). Our local Walmart carries that and another brand of buttermilk. The other brand is kinda yucky.

Good buttermilk is best taken in small sips IMO. The aftertaste is almost like liquid cheese with a slight bit of tartness.

I love the stuff.
:drunk2:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a general rule, all of our milk comes from Braum's; but I cannot swear that has always been the case with buttermilk. Next time I get a hankerin' I'll try some Hiland!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I made The Wife today for Mother's Day.

Well, yesterday and today. Took me a few hours.

i-Vz7XrVD-X2.jpg

My first ever layer cake. And scratch. It is alternating layers of scratch made cake and scratch cheesecake. Cream cheese and hazelnut (nutella) flavored, 3 different types of cream, etc., and layers also drizzled with hazelnut coffee. It is a monster. Almost 6" tall, probably 4 lbs or more, I dunno. An adaptation of a tiramisu cake I saw online, but I couldn't find any mascarpone, so I made a faux version out of cream cheese, sour cream and heavy whipping cream, which is essentially what the outside frosting is.

I'll upload a pic later of when we cut it open. I hope it looks better that way than it does now, it's a little messier than I had planned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom