Coyotes on the fence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What purpose does hanging dead coyotes on the fence serve? It doesn't deter other 'yotes. Is just a penis extension or something?
I'm not sure exactly why it started, but you can see photos of it back in the 50's (I think is when it was) when the extermination program was in full effect. Now I think it's a "tradition"

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like I remember a "bounty" that was paid if you turned in 2 ears. Don't know if it's true, or if it is how much was paid. I lived in SW OK and dead ones were on fences everywhere.
From what I read it was true. Government tried to eradicate the lil buggers but gave up when it proved impossible if I remember correctly

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like I remember a "bounty" that was paid if you turned in 2 ears. Don't know if it's true, or if it is how much was paid. I lived in SW OK and dead ones were on fences everywhere.
Yes. Bounty of $7.00 was paid for a pair of ears at one time. Gov trappers also used cyanide mixed with meat to kill them. The baited areas had to be posted with signs. Shooting from aircraft was also legal at that time until there were several incidents of airplanes crashing during the pursuit.
I was a kid and never got to go, but my uncle ran with a bunch that hunted coyotes on horseback or mules using greyhounds.
The mules were actually better, and there were not a lot of fences back on those days.
In Osage county there were miles of fences along the roads that had earless coyote carcasses hung on them.
In the end, the coyotes won. Humans will never ever control them. Too smart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom