Coyotes on the fence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ODOW .jpg

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw this on Facebook in the Claremore Complaints area:
This complaint isn't in Claremore but about 5 miles outside of it. One of the local ranchers shot and killed a couple of coyotes. I have no problem with that. They are a problem around here. But this person draped the 2 coyotes over his fence, right at the end of a t-bone street, where everyone can see them as they decay on the fence -- and the smell is horrendous. I drive by with my windows up and can smell them. WHY do they do this? The person that owns the pasture right across from my driveway used to hang them by the tail off his fence. My husband or I would take them down and drag them away. These are two very large coyotes and they're draped over it. I've got pics but didn't want to post them. WHY do farmers/ranchers do this?? It's gruesome. If I was young and had little kids, I certainly wouldn't want them to see it.
This was one of the replies:
Coyotes are smart, if they see a dead one hung like this they know it was killed by something else and they stay away, he is trying to protect his livestock from them.
Thought OSA would enjoy this!

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sgt Dog, it's still happening much the same today.

Here's a Kansas Coyote hunt

I've been a couple of times with some guys down around the Lawton area. We went way, way out into West TX along the NM border and hunted in both states. It was brutal. I loved it. I can't imagine the money they spend. They generally total a truck every couple of years. One of them keeps about 100 hounds and hunts most of them. We had 2 trucks in our group and hunted apart. The best part was listening to them "call the race" on the radio; "I've got a stocking legged *****, walking to him". "turned him", "turned him again", "upside down". "Table for 3".

They hunted 3 dog packs, 4 packs per truck. The pull handles were rigged to come up thru the back of the truck with pulleys & cables so the driver only could pull the handles. Dropping the door on 3 expensive sight hounds at 70 miles per hour is a bit of a no no. Running around those dry land crop circles at 80 or so and scooting under the irrigation equipment at those speeds was a rush.

We had lots of farmers catch us in town at the Allsup's, and tell us we could hunt their place, but only if they could ride with us. One got a call from his wife during a race and got in some trouble for "being out with those OK coyote hunters again".

It was always a great time for me, but it absolutely ain't for everyone. That was pretty easy to see.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old timers claimed it would keep coyotes away to see their kind hanging from a fence................Washington and Osage counties were covered with them when I was a kid. Still see it every once in a while now.

On trips to OK to visit our grandparents we would count the number of coyotes hanging on those fences on old HWY 99. I can see it like it was yesterday. They used to do this around the Elgin Ks(a town to tough to die) area as well. When we saw the coyotes on the fences we knew we it wouldn't be long to Grandpa's place in Hominy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom