Cruises & tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack the motel staff tipping thread.

We are planning our 1st cruise. What are guidelines, expectations, rules on tipping?

I am not a fan of tipping, but cruises and quality of services and overall experience can be enhanced by tipping.

Those of you that have cruised, what did you experience, where did you cruise, what would you change? Cabin location? Dining? Formal dress? Nightlife aboard ship?

Yes, I am soliciting tips. TIA

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cruises are one that made me a little mad when we went on my first cruise several years ago. Many, including the cruise line I went on they automatically added $20 per day per person to the bill at the end of the cruise. It's supposed to be more fair as it is supposed to be divided up upon most the employees, not just the seen employees but also the behind the scenes ones as well. However, it was still 'tradition' to still tip servers and bartenders as well.

Just like the more than 8 member party gets a 20% included gratuity. If the service sucked, oh well.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We pre-paid gratuity on both cruises we've been on, but then we still tipped our cabin steward and dining staff in cash at the end of the cruise. We're not drinkers, so didn't deal with bartenders or club servers.

Formal dining doesn't seem to mean much anymore, we saw people dressed up, ladies in nice evening wear, men in suits to people wearing shorts, jeans, and button down shirts. Big variety. We went kind of in the middle. We chose slacks, button down shirt, and a tie for us guys on formal night - no jackets. The other nights just slacks and button down shirt. The ladies took a black dress for the formal night or two and slacks for the other nights.

We did get some nice photos of us and our group on the formal nights from the ship cruise staff, for purchase of course. Watch for photo package pricing specials, especially before your cruise.

Check out what port excursions you're interested in ahead of time and book them before the cruise if you can, most are cheaper when you pre-book. Some will be sold out before you even set foot on the ship.

We've been on a 7 night Caribbean cruise and a 7 night Alaskan cruise, both on Royal Caribbean cruise line.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I just came off of our 27th cruise. In the early days, we had 7 different envelopes for all of the staff we had to tip. You put your money in the envelope and hand it to the person the night before you left the ship.
Nowdays, the tip is automatically included in the price of the cruise. We still tend to tip our cabin person and and bartender if he/she goes over and beyond for us.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you want to just go to a beach when you are in port, plan on paying to get there, paying to get on the beach, pay for a chair, pay for a umbrella and of course your food and drinks.
The best way to do this is to go to www.resort4aday.com. You can book a full day at one of the all inclusive resorts. This way you have a day pass for the resort and all of its amenities. Private beach, swimming pools, all you can eat and drink. We did this two weeks ago in Puerta Valarta, Mexico. It cost us $80 a piece for the whole day. It was great and hassle free. Just make sure you do this when you are in port for the longest amount of time. We were there for 12 hours so we got a full day at the resort.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Norwegian cruise to Alaska. Tips were included but we still tipped the cabin person. Not sure where you're cruising to, but don't forget to enjoy the ship on the days you're in port somewhere. 90% of the ship's occupants leave and go ashore. leaving nearly the entire vessel to yourself, take advantage of it at least once lol.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I just came off of our 27th cruise. In the early days, we had 7 different envelopes for all of the staff we had to tip. You put your money in the envelope and hand it to the person the night before you left the ship.
Nowdays, the tip is automatically included in the price of the cruise. We still tend to tip our cabin person and and bartender if he/she goes over and beyond for us.
This is how it was when we started. My wife has been on 10 and I’ve been on 7. Tips are automatically billed now.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had the option of including all tips in the package fee, which we did and never handed anyone a dollar on board. Except we did give our cabin steward a little extra when we left because we felt like he really took good care of us. I would do that again if it's still an option.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been on 7 cruises. I was shocked at everyone you had to tip on first cruise. Now it's
automatically taken care of.

I remember wanting us to tip wine steward and we didn't drink. Don't mind tipping the waiter or housekeeping. Cruise lines automatically add gratuities of about $14 to $15 per person per day to your onboard bill. Amount depends on cruise line and length of trip.

My wife's friend is cruising around the world. Posts her itinerary and pics on fakebook. She and boyfriend sold their houses and sailboat. They go everywhere from Puerto Vallarta to Canada.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom