Dadgum Methodists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a church follows the word of God it will flourish. By that I mean preaching the unadulterated scripture, saving of souls and a follow up of those that are saved. You don’t get people saved and forget them!
A church needs a knowledgeable preacher who has attended a Bible College or seminary and who believes in an outreach and the preacher must be above reproach, a man of God, having one wife and controlling his family as in the book of Timothy.
No opinion of man changed the word of God, it is was relevant now as it ever was and It’s more important today than yesterday. The signs of the times indicates we are getting closer to the return of Christ.
I might add that simply because someone attends church is no guarantee of salvation nor if one does not attend an established church does not mean that they are unsaved.
One’s relationship with the Lord is not a performance relationship, it is a personal relationship. And no man can question one’s relationship with God, that is between the person and god… not one’s friends or neighbors.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree on the ”need” for a preacher to attend bible college or seminary, because I know some really good country preachers that check every box except the formal bible education and have thriving and growing churches.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our lives have been much more spiritual since we found out that Waffle House is open on Sunday mornings. I'm pretty sure the extra large tips we leave are better spent than whatever used to get put in the offering plate at that "other" church we used to go to. We see a lot more real fellowship and love at WH than we've ever seen at any organized commercial church business. And believe me, it IS a business.
yea who can build the biggest building. or buy the preacher a Porsche. when in reality your supposed to help your neighbor or someone in need ministering is not about money!!!

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good preacher will be preaching from the Word.

This battle has been going on at the UMC for a few years at the leadership level. Eventually they got enough numbers to present this poison. It is just evil doing what it does, dividing and destroying. Now each UMC church will have to make a choice and the church will split up (schism).

Each person, like each church, also will decide for themselves.

Do they think themselves higher than God and in a position to change what He says is right and wrong?

Or are they His sheep and follow Him.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like a guy once said, “if the King James Bible was good enough for the Apostle Paul, it’s good enough for me!”
I went to Crossroads Cathedral many years ago and took the wife’s aunt and Bishop Jake was there. He wanted everyone to take a $20 bill out so he could bless it and if one didn’t have a $20 bill, he told them to take out a $10 dollar bill. He the had everyone hold up the 10’s and 20’s so he could bless the bills. After the money was “blessed” he told everyone to put the money in the offering plates the ushers were bringing by.
I told the wife, this guy is good, I haven’t taken anyone to see this “Bishop” since. The love of money will buy a Bishop a new Mercedes or private jet. He wouldn’t want to fly with ewwww
Comments.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i listen to a preacher i want it straight out of the book not what they think it ought to say! im happy just saying my prayer's at home and helping people where i can.
I really appreciate a preacher that has dug into other history and supporting info of what is happening in the Bible as well. The Bible is a great book, sometimes it’s really awesome to be able to find out more of the why though

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trump/Pompeo is my fantasy ticket.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on the ”need” for a preacher to attend bible college or seminary, because I know some really good country preachers that check every box except the formal bible education and have thriving and growing churches.
The reason I mentioned “higher education” is because I’ve seen correspondence course preachers counsel people with problems and they don’t know squat about counseling. They’ll counsel a troubled person into suicide. And the preacher’s problems outweigh the one being counseled. They shouldn’t be counseling anyone until they get their own lives straight.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a guy once said, “if the King James Bible was good enough for the Apostle Paul, it’s good enough for me!”
I went to Crossroads Cathedral many years ago and took the wife’s aunt and Bishop Jake was there. He wanted everyone to take a $20 bill out so he could bless it and if one didn’t have a $20 bill, he told them to take out a $10 dollar bill. He the had everyone hold up the 10’s and 20’s so he could bless the bills. After the money was “blessed” he told everyone to put the money in the offering plates the ushers were bringing by.
I told the wife, this guy is good, I haven’t taken anyone to see this “Bishop” since. The love of money will buy a Bishop a new Mercedes or private jet. He wouldn’t want to fly with ewwww
Comments.
Just driving by the place gives me the Uh Uhs.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Back in around 2003 or so, I mentioned to a couple of the elders of our church that I thought that the KJV was best because it was translated much earlier than newer versions and thus might be closer to the same context as the original documents. One of them informed me that the New International Version also included writings from the Dead Sea Scrolls. But then he told me that with regards to word for word translations, the American Standard Version of 1901 was actually a closer version for word-for-word translation. So, I went searching online and found a source that still had that version.

Star Bibles is the source, but now the only thing they have available in ASV is just the New Testament and not the Old Testament. I'm fortunate that I bought when they had both. Below is a chart showing the "accuracy" of the different Bible versions. Note that the ASV is not listed because it is in such limited supply, but the New American Standard Version is right up there behind what is called the Interlinear translation. So, I would imagine that if the ASV was listed in the chart, it would be between the NASB and the Interlinear.

Bible Translation Comparison.gif

At one time, our church would have professors at Oklahoma Christian University in Edmond come and speak to us on Wednesday night worships. On one of those occasions, the professor was one that had been involved with studying the Dead Sea Scrolls and new the languages for the Bible. I asked him if what I had been told about the ASV was true, and he said that it was pretty much that what he would translate would be what the ASV said. Anything else, and he would then have to translate and then paraphrase to some degree.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read quite a bit about which version is the most accurate to history, but one thing is necessary to take it as God's word.

Faith. You have to have faith that the words transcribed by man are the words handed down from God. And then you have to have faith that it's not been adulterated over the different translations.

What is the evidence that even the oldest translation of any book of the bible is actually God's word, not simply man's?

Latest posts

Top Bottom