Data Well, Christmas Tree Impact on Property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Devon has reached out to me to put a Data Well on our property . It’s raw land we use for recreation and deer hunting, in central Oklahoma. This is all new to me. Any ideas are welcome. What questions I should be asking. What impacts I should be concerned about. It would be a 5 year contract. There wouldn’t be any tanks, or gas/oil extracted. Thanks for your inputs.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More knowledgeable posters to come, I'm sure but here are my initial thoughts on questions: roads, surface damages/fixes, power (I bet it's solar-powered), structures (if any).

ETA: if you don't already have one, make them install a cattle guard entry during their initial use to remain for mutual access.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DON'T FORGET ACCESS!!!

Make sure all access rights and restrictions are crystal clear and in writing. This includes who has keys to what and who can access what and when and with/without notice.

I would also get in writing who is responsible to clean up what when the contract expires. Include HOW it is to be cleaned up. IE... to be capped above/below ground, landscaping, trash removal, etc.....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to get serious about contract conditions... start shopping lawyers.
Exactly. I was VP at our gun club for 3 years and President for 4. During that time we had several pipeline companies, and some drillers want to gain access to our property to drill or run pipelines.
The land man gave us an offer showing documentation that our neighbors got the low ball offers they wanted us to sign.
We went to a lawyer familiar with land acquisition and leases.
When he got done, we had control of where the lease roads were to be placed and the type of rock that could be used to form that road, drainage issues addressed, environmental issues about spills, Location of power lines and clauses that if they didn't keep the gate locked in ingress and egress, they could lose access to the property as it was a private club.
Another clause stated if they didn't use the access road for 6 months, they lost the easement which is what happened, and the club retained all the infrastructure they put in.
When we gave the landman that contract with the clauses and 3X the price they offered for the easement, he took it to the office and came back a week later with a check and no arguments.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
”FINA “. Devon contacted me yesterday, since I don’t have an access road, they are no longer interested. Oh WELL !

Latest posts

Top Bottom