Home Propane Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that we are under contract to purchase a home in Bristow. Not sure if I should just start a "Parks 788 Home Buying Adventure" thread and ask all my country living questions on it or just clog the general discussions for up??? Sorta liking this idea if i can get some input.

Anyways, the house we are buying as a second home on the property that has a 500 gallon propane tank. I checked the tank and it is apparently an owned tank. IT shows a manufacture date of 1992. Is this a concern for me? Would it make sense to contract with a local propane service and get a newer/new tank and service plan or just run what I bought until there is a problem. I'm the kind of guy who when I get my BBQ tanks filled I stand on the other side of the bed of my truck.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that we are under contract to purchase a home in Bristow. Not sure if I should just start a "Parks 788 Home Buying Adventure" thread and ask all my country living questions on it or just clog the general discussions for up??? Sorta liking this idea if i can get some input.

Anyways, the house we are buying as a second home on the property that has a 500 gallon propane tank. I checked the tank and it is apparently an owned tank. IT shows a manufacture date of 1992. Is this a concern for me? Would it make sense to contract with a local propane service and get a newer/new tank and service plan or just run what I bought until there is a problem. I'm the kind of guy who when I get my BBQ tanks filled I stand on the other side of the bed of my truck.

most of the time if you get a propane service owned tank they do all maintenance on the tank or replace if needed. If you own your own tank you are responsible for it.

I wouldn’t be weary of a tank made in 1992. That’s not that old in my opinion.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think mines in the 50’s. A faulty regulator drained my tank one time but that’s it. I’ve been on propane since the early 80s and no issues other than repainted the tank once.

Your provider should be looking for issues if you ever run out expect for an additional fee as they have to do a pressure check on your system. If it’s holding pressure it’s good in my mind.

Propane is a lot more explosive than NG so be careful lightning your heater if you have an old model, I’ve took the hair off my arm once or twice over the decades.

Ive watched a lot of films in the 90s as part of my HAZMAT training. Even massive fires at a gas plant has huge flames but they don’t explode, propane is released as the tank heats, FD will hose the tanks down. If they ever do explode due to a faulty tank they claim a large tank can take out a block.

Anyway that’s what I recall. I think this isn’t a worry but you can have them come out and do an expectation to be sure if your uncomfortable.

my .02 cents.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any propane in the tank now? If they're using it, it's likely fine. 92 isn't very old for a propane tank.

Get some leak-check liquid (or make your own) and spray everything down...valves, fittings, etc... If it isn't leaking it's fine.

Also, first time you have it filled you can ask the driver to check it over for you. If it's a company that's never filled it before, or if it's shut off or empty, they'll do a leak check on the system. Or they should, anyway.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know one of mine was made in 1962, still using it. Had to replace the overpressure valve a year or so back and put a new gasket in the gauge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom