Deer calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caliber of choice. Deer Season 2010

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a lot of people, I started deer hunting with a 30-30 years ago. Since then I've taken deer with a .243, .270, 7 mag and my 45-70 Marlin that my boys and I have nicknamed "the hammer". Now it seems I've come full circle and I'm back to shooting a 30-30. It does the job without a lot of damage, to the deer or my shoulder.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifle-wise I'll probably be toting the old reliable M77 MKII in .270 I bought when I was a wee punk. (Before that I used the peep sighted Winchester '94 I inherited from my grandpa. Just about every hunter related to me and half the old guys in my hometown have hunted and killed a deer with that rifle.)

I might take out my peep sighted Ruger .44 Carbine if I get shooting to my liking.

Been using a .357 mag in an 8" bbl Dan Wesson for many years.

My dad has that same revolver. Absolute tack driver.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he has a CCW permit he can carry it on him, but yeah it would not be legal to use for deer hunting.

I might be mistaken, but I was also under the impression your carry gun while hunting during the general firearms season must meet the requirement for deer hunting.

My favorite deer caliber is the .308, although the .243 is a close second and I use it more often. For handguns I like the 45 Colt followed by the 44 Mag.

billet93

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's not the most "capable" gun for deer hunting, but I sure love shooting a good old lever action 30/30... guess some of those things you do as a kid just stick with you forever

Latest posts

Top Bottom