Denied on ar15 lower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told years ago that the ATF didnt recognized OKla CCL cause they didnt require enough training and that was why they would never agree to using the CCL in the place of calling in the 4473
ATF did recognize SDA licenses in the past, and the training hasn't gotten any weaker, so that dog won't hunt. The training requirements are also not within ATF's purview, so that doesn't pass the smell test, IMHO. The only excuse I've heard that made any sense was the ATF throwing a hissy fit because of the length of the license term. Apparently, if your license is valid for four years, it's ok, but if it's five years, well, that's just too darn long in between background checks.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, it would suck to get delayed every time. I think after a few I'd just stick to gun shows and Armslist. I've found most of my cool stuff that way anyways.

It has been over 10 years since I have gotten a proceed. I have a defacto 3 day waiting period forever it looks like.

My delays started when I was a police officer and had had a C&R FFL for over 20 years.

Not only have I gotten a delay every single time for the last 10 years, the AFT never calls back and gives me a proceed at all. I use Sooner State Pawn for a lot of transfer and they know me pretty well. I've asked them about it. They said my 4473's never get a response, period.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ATF did recognize SDA licenses in the past, and the training hasn't gotten any weaker, so that dog won't hunt. The training requirements are also not within ATF's purview, so that doesn't pass the smell test, IMHO. The only excuse I've heard that made any sense was the ATF throwing a hissy fit because of the length of the license term. Apparently, if your license is valid for four years, it's ok, but if it's five years, well, that's just too darn long in between background checks.
That's the way I understand it. Ok offers a 5 year or a 10 year renewal for a CCL.
The feds have an issue with the 10 year, so Ok is going to need to revisit the length of time between renewals which will make some mad and want some money back or something, or change the law so that only those with 5 year can buy using the CCL license and the rest will just have to wait or renew.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the way I understand it. Ok offers a 5 year or a 10 year renewal for a CCL.
The feds have an issue with the 10 year, so Ok is going to need to revisit the length of time between renewals which will make some mad and want some money back or something, or change the law so that only those with 5 year can buy using the CCL license and the rest will just have to wait or renew.
This is the reasoning I have heard as well.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question. I don’t buy from anywhere else, unless it’s a used gun or something I can’t get through my suppliers.

When I purchase a gun for my self I always do a NICS check, I’ve never been told different by the ATF that I don’t have to do one on myself so I just make it a habit.

You can check and verify, but I am also an FFL and the one time I ran a NICS check on myself, they verbally gigged me on my inspection.
Said that there was no reason for it since I was an FFL.
Still have to put it in the book but log it out as "transfer to owner"

Dave

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know you name but, if you have a very common name it takes longer.
It's not super common. Unless they are mistaking me for Suge. No, back when I was living in Claremore city limits I got pulled over and I overheard the dispatcher say that there was a warrant for a J. Allan Knight... Well, that's not my middle name. This guy has the exact same birthday as me, I'm sure his social security number is very similar to mine too. So, that may be why.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else for everyone to consider...is your "delay" coming when the FFL checks via computer or phone?

It is my understanding that phone in checks are almost always getting a "delay" and for at least 7 days due to staffing issues.
Even though you are supposed to clear after 3 days, the "delayed, my transfer after..." date is almost always 7 days.

When I run via computer (always) it varies from almost instantaneous to "delayed, may transfer after 7 days" and I have rarely had the delay go the full 7 days. I will recheck routinely and usually within 2 days, it comes back as "proceed".

Just a thought.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom