DHS responds to 1.6 billion ammo buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...

If you guys go here you can see an example of one of the actual bid sheets from the latest news story where people are saying that now DHS is buying an additional 21.6 million rounds.

https://marketplace.fedbid.com/fbwe...q5Ajq+RH6QAAAAAHeAAgAgTFCGg/FzzqQbJAAyVXBA0Or

There is a link within the file that has the actual PDF file from the .gov with the same details... it even has a contact name and number.

What concerns me is that when you look at the bid sheet, it pretty clearly spells out that the quantities are NOT for the huge amounts that infowars and others are claiming. For example, when it uses the language below:

Commercial Leaded Training Ammo (CLTA) Pistol Cartridge .40 caliber 165 Grain, jacketed Hollow point(Jhp) p/n P40HSTS3G OR EQUAL. BRASS CASING 100,000 ROUNDS PRICE PER 1000 ROUNDS WILL INCLUDE DELIVERY.

And then the qty is 100.

It means that they are asking for a bid of up to 100,000 rounds with pricing per 1000 rounds and quantity of 100. That's 100 x 1000 for a max of 100,000, NOT 100 units of 100,000 rounds as infowars wants us to believe.

The totals are NOT 100,000x100 + 100,000x100 + 40,000x40 = 21,600,000.
The real totals are 1000x100 + 1000x100 + 1000x40 = 240,000.
Pretty big difference...

I love a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, and I'm always skeptical of our government, but this seems like people running around with their heads on fire just to get attention and further the cause.

If you don't believe me, there is a contact name and phone number on there... call the dude and ask the question directly like NONE of these "reporters" have done. Ps. I would have already done it, but I don't really want to be calling up DHS and questioning them lol.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did have this discussion before and the Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contracts did confuse people, which isn't surprising since they also confuse government contracting officers.
However, the AP article I read (by Alicia Caldwell) cited DHS sources not disputing the large numbers but rather, DHS and other agencies, were explaining why those quantities are really justified. In fact, DHS specifically said they need 15 million rounds per year for training - which is entirely possible. However DHS has created a contract vehicle that allows them to buy on the order of 50 years supply of training ammo. That does seem excessive no matter how you measure it.

In fact, while there are multi-year supply contracts I thought that generally O&M could not be used for the purpose of "hoarding" for future use. The reason? Hoarding is, in effect, a way to try to get around Congressional spending limits by using money appropriated for current year operations to supplement future year operations in contravention of Congress' will. Maybe DHS has an exception, like the military, to purchase war reserve stocks or something like that? But then I'd have to ask "why?" If we are worried about an invasion it would seem that the National Guard and State militias should be armed not police and investigative agencies.
DHS security and police personnel do have legitimate needs to train and arm for day to day, or even emergency, use but the quantities being discussed seem out of proportion to any reasonable need.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so we are supposed to beleive the docterd up PO's now?

Just like we believe the authorities on CNN the other night:

"Oh they did not mean 'burn it down' Thats just a term."

Nothing to see here once again folks.

Move along.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very well put. The manufacturers are operating at and beyond capacity because of panic buying created by the threat and probable impending restrictive nad useless regulation imposed by an oppressive government. A shortage of particular calibers; such as those used by the military or Department of Homeland Suppression, would support the conspiracy, but the shelves are EMPTY. Last I checked, the governemnt did NOT stockpile .22 Hornet, 7-08, .416 Rigby, etc. JMHO

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so we are supposed to beleive the docterd up PO's now?

Just like we believe the authorities on CNN the other night:

"Oh they did not mean 'burn it down' Thats just a term."

Nothing to see here once again folks.

Move along.

I haven't been following this issue. Are there some links to POs or other bid requests?

I just think that if the numbers are being inflated, then it doesn't serve us to pile on board with conspiracy theories about why when the premise may not be factual in the first place.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... and I'll also add that there are PLENTY of REAL, QUANTIFIABLE AND DANGEROUS ATTACKS on our Constitution without going down these ratholes of conspiracy and mis-information.

The last thing we need is to be labeled as crazy over an issue that seems pretty easy to get to the bottom of. We need to stay sane, strong and unified in the REAL issues that are in front of us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom