Diagnosed with a blown out disk (L4-5) ...... and other issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you seek Pain Management or plan on Surgery? The whole idea of having someone cut on my back really freaks me out. What alternatives are there? Any good Back Doc's in Lawton or do I have to go to OKC? Yes, it has gotten pretty bad ...... Thanx for any input ....

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard both ways on back surgery, get it, don't get it. Do your research. I talked to a guy who had it done where they put replacement discs in and he said he was doing great. I think this type of surgery is still kind of new. Two of my friends have had the fusion and live in pain daily. I've not had any back issues and am only telling you what others have said. Good luck.

M

Mach1soldier

JD duncan in Lawton is very experienced and takes the time to listen and figure out what is wrong. Always try physical therapy and pain management first. Don't be afraid to try stuff before having surgery (depending on severity). If you have surgery, realize there is a 1-3 year period of recovery. You have to slowly build back up and you will have a long time of being sensitive to the things that could hurt you. I woke up pain free from surgery and was great for 6 months until I decided to be an idiot and start working on cars again and forced to lift weights (army). Now i'm not on any meds but just gotta be smart and can workout some, can still work on cars, and enjoying life. JD was my surgeon. Most people don't recommend his brother Mark but I have no personal experience.

My only regret is losing a lot of flexability due to the sitting around I assume after surgery. It still really hasn't come back fully.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you seek Pain Management or plan on Surgery? The whole idea of having someone cut on my back really freaks me out. What alternatives are there? Any good Back Doc's in Lawton or do I have to go to OKC? Yes, it has gotten pretty bad ...... Thanx for any input ....

Even though he's all the way in Tulsa, Dr James Rodgers is one of the finest surgeons in Oklahoma, along with one of the highest state of the art private spine an specialty hospitals.
Dr. Rodgers did all the surgeries on my neck after I'd been wounded in Iraq from a VBIED. I now have C4 through C7 fuzed.

http://www.tulsaneurospine.com/rodgers_profile.html

http://www.tulsaspinehospital.com/

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I read back surgery has come a long way. A co workers father in law had back surgery the other day, he said the doc took a syringe wth a cement type susbstance that he injected into the damaged vertibra, and when it hardened, it was as if the vertibra had healed itself, guy has no more pain.

Also I read where the incisons are getting smaller maybe 1in now.

Hope all works out for you. See more docs for more opinions.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a blown disc between C5 & C6 in my neck. it bothers me pretty much 24/7 with light pain & weird noises i can pick up internally. kinda sounds like a box of BB's being slowly poured on a cookie sheet. it's put me in the ER twice so far in the last 2 years, each time unable to pretty much do anything. gets so bad sometimes i cant roll out of the bed to take a piss. doc has said surgery might be required in the future, but to really try to avoid it at all cost. said its about a 50-50 whether or not it improves or gets worse after a surgery. its a treatment of last resort.

things my doc & i have been trying for the last two years that really do work:

Nabumetone - works only when taken over a period of time, becoming more effective the longer you take it. blocks production of hormone/enzyme something or other that causes stuff to inflame. typically used for severe arthritis patients. - - by the 3rd day this stuff works very very well. as far as i can tell it has zero side effects.

800mg ibprofin - anti-inflammatory good for helping to stop an inflammation attack. it doesn't take much to set my neck off, and when it does flare up it absolutely floors me in horrific agony. after a while i got to where i can recognize that it's coming and take ibprofin & prednazone to stop it from fully developing.

prednazone - steroid, only to be used when it gets real real bad. steroids are great anti-inflammatory, but its not something you can take safely for long periods of time. the longer you are on it the less your body produces on its own, use it exactly as directed by your doctor, do not quit cold turkey if you have been taking a good dose for 3 days or more.

muscle relaxer - doesn't really directly effect the issue, but it does help with the sore muscles you inevitably get when all tensed up in pain for days at a time.

heat/ice pack - when it gets to hurtin bad enough that i need to immobilize myself for a bit i alternate a heating pad & ice pack.

lifestyle change - don't hold great big logs of firewood on your head, don't jump off the roof, stop getting kicked in the head in taekwondo, don't "pop your neck" by turning your head with your hands, etc, etc, take it real real easy. don't do any single physical activity very long, do it for a few minutes & stop, go sit down have a mnt dew for half an hour & wait to see if that activity caused it to flare up, if not, go back to it for a longer period of time & just be mindful of any pain you might get indicating a flare up. basically be much more cautious. for me a flare up typically onsets about 6-10 hours after the activity that caused it.

sleeping position - make sure you are comfortable, for me that means a special pillow that keeps my neck level, for lower back pain i'd say its even more important to be able to lay on your side without a ****** bed forcing your back into a curve. if its a problem its not only worth the 3 grand for a new matress, but it might be covered under insurance.

steroid shot in the ass during bad flareups - this supposedly helps dramatically, all it does for me is a breakout of mild hives. both times i got a steroid shot i was in too much pain to notice a difference i think.

things discussed for future treatment as the condition worsens:

series of localized steroid shots
surgery

my best advice is to treat it with meds and lifestyle change. i've kind of had a rough & tumble lifestyle since i was a kid, the entire time with a mild case of un-diagnosed scoliosis in my neck. that's what set mine off at age 31. 33 now & still decently active, lots of paintball. i've had to give up martial arts just too high risk.

i have a little section of my site dedicated to it if you want more info. theres several posts on it you'll need to scroll down a bit. be sure to check out the MRI video, if you've had an MRI you can get the whole thing on CD to look at at home. http://davidproberts.com/category/injury-log/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My wife has the L4 prob and has for years. She had two steroid shots 10y ago, and just needed another a couple of months ago. Her doc and surgeon said surgury should be absolutely last option. Couple of shots every ten years seems to be working, i'm sure everyones different though.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have herniated disk L4 L5 was recomened surgery, mostly stopped lifting heavy things . Helped a lot . I have have a inversion table when it gets to hurting bad i go hang up side for a while takes the pressure off the back & i am good to go.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dr. Eric Sherburn at the Tulsa Spine & Specialty Hospital.

http://www.tulsaspinehospital.com/physician/sherburn-eric-w-m-d/

He is an excellent surgeon and the hospital is top notch!

They charge a $125 for a one night stay or $250 for anything over. The rest they collect from your insurance company or write off. Doesn't matter if your insurance is in or out of network, the most out of pocket you will ever pay is $250, for the best care in Tulsa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom