Diagnosed with a blown out disk (L4-5) ...... and other issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have degrading discs in my back (L3-L5) and have already had a fusion in my neck (c5-c6), so I have dealt with this for years. I hated the idea of surgery and put it off until I could on the neck. I was in such pain that I couldnt work, move, basically anything. I did the surgery and it was night and day and have been pain free in my neck since. I wish I would have listened to the doctors and done in sooner, but I was stubborn and listened to all of the anecdotal horror storied instead. All I got for that was more nerve damage.

My advice, don't mess around with it. Find a competent surgeon and get it fixed and be done with it. Pain management can work, but then you still have the pain, and with me, frequently and sometimes severely. Not worth it. I know for me that I wish I would have done it sooner. When the time comes on my back, and the doc's say it will, that they recommend surgery, I will do it and not delay as I did before.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not knowing the exact cause of your back pain and where you're at in the whole diagnostic/ treatment process, I'd add the following to the above advice and recommendations:

-Stay skinny. Not just normal 25-29 BMI, work to stay below 25. Every single pound you carry makes a difference.
-Stay in shape. Whole body shape, not just aerobic or raw strength. Even if it's squats with a broom handle for weight and recumbant bike for cardio. Like the Nike ad says- Just do it. Read the works of Mark Rippetoe and Louie Simmons. Look at carefully adding reverse hypers to your workout routine.
-JD Duncan is an honest and experienced Spinal Surgeon. Well worth an evaluation.
-if you smoke, quit. It interferes with both getting/ staying in shape and healing from any possible future surgery.
-Be careful with the pain medications. There's a dirty, downward path that traps many patients on narcotic analgesics. Some because of addictive traits, others because of injudicious prescribing habits of providers. Once a person becomes used to/ habituated to the effects of such meds, in their mind, nothing else is going to work. If you get to the point of your pain being termed "non surgical", pick a conservative Pain Management Doc and follow the rules.
-Keep your chin up. Of course it's not as simple as that, but there's a buttload of back pain patients out there, from mild to paralyzed. Those with a good outlook on life do better than depressed or cynical folks. Talk to your Doc if life is grinding you down.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i fractured my l5 in two places in high school. had an epidural and went 7 years before needing another one. Second one lasted three weeks. Finally had the surgery (fusion) and felt great. Like an above poster, i was stupid and reinjured it. Still doing okay but not as good as i was.

The biggest thing i've realized is that a lot of my pain now comes from muscle imbalance. Rather than focus on strengthening my back, i now work on my abs. Those are the muscles that give a lot of the support and tightening them has meant less pressure on my spine.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youll have to do your homework, some Drs like the surgerys ..some like the, pt ,Pain management.
Unsafe has some very good points ...actually all the suggestions are good.
Get 2nd and 3rd opinions...some will say ,you cant do anymore damage...pt,Pain M.
Or if you might do more damage .....surgery would be best
I have never had surgery of any kind......my 2nd wife had 4 back surgerys in about 5 yrs hers were down in the s region.
So it kinda matters where the damage is.
My working partner had c-4, and c-5 fused...about 6 weeks he was back to work..heavy construction....Yeah I made him take it easy for a while LOL
Good Luck....ask lots of ???

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have degrading discs in my back (L3-L5) and have already had a fusion in my neck (c5-c6), so I have dealt with this for years. I hated the idea of surgery and put it off until I could on the neck. I was in such pain that I couldnt work, move, basically anything. I did the surgery and it was night and day and have been pain free in my neck since. I wish I would have listened to the doctors and done in sooner, but I was stubborn and listened to all of the anecdotal horror storied instead. All I got for that was more nerve damage.

My advice, don't mess around with it. Find a competent surgeon and get it fixed and be done with it. Pain management can work, but then you still have the pain, and with me, frequently and sometimes severely. Not worth it. I know for me that I wish I would have done it sooner. When the time comes on my back, and the doc's say it will, that they recommend surgery, I will do it and not delay as I did before.

i may be facing the exact same thing in my future. did you loose any mobility? side to side, up/down etc.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the posts and advice. I will keep it all in mind when I see the Pain Management Doc tomorrow ....... though I have a feeling that he will refer me to a surgical type. I do have to add that at age 63 I do not look forward to that option. Again, thanx all ......

*I have no Mobility Loss ..... just cannot maintain bending for any amount of time ..... nor can I carry much in the way of heavier items.

Last edited:

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My mom had surgery back in 1994 and I had surgery in 2003 for herniated L5/S1 disk. Neither one of us have had any reoccurring issues. I can tell you this, if you have surgery, follow your PT's instructions perfectly. There is nothing worse (or so I have been told), than having bad scar tissue build up because someone didn't follow the stretching and exercise instructions. Best wishes.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recomend McBride Clinic. Dr Holden has operated on my shoulder and I have had 4 epidural (sp) injections in spine for lower back. They worked great for about 10 years then I had a couple others and they are still working. thats 2 shots and 2 shots 10 years later. They inject a steroid into the epidermis of the spine.

I have used these Dr's for a long time and they seem to use surgery only as a last resort. They put off my shoulder for over 25 years.

Good luck,

Mark

Latest posts

Top Bottom