Diagnosed with a blown out disk (L4-5) ...... and other issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have all heard my story but here it is again, Every disk from L5 down is ruptured and every disk from L5 up is herniated.
I have a degenerative disk desease and that means that they will only get worse. I have been told that I am no longer a candidate for surgery so I MUST use pain management.

The longer that you wait before getting a back problem fixed or stabolized it will cause nerve damage. When the nerve damage becomes severe then the nerve dies and you will never get it back.
If you can get what ever is wrong fixed then do it, go for the non-surgical methods if you can but even with surgery they have made great bounds in knowledge even in just the last few months.

Some of Oklahoma's best educated spinal doctors are located in Tulsa so if your doctor recommends surgery then get a second opinion before going under the knife.

even though my back is as bad as it is, I still get around with medications and don't even take Opioids for pain, but I do have no feeling in the tips of my right fingers and the numbness grows every month.

Donald

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a central herniation in L4-L5. I'm not sure what you mean by "blown out" but it was hell for a couple of years and then got way better to the point I trained for a marathon and got to 19 before my feet took me out. My uncles a MD and sent me to his friend who told me to try to live with it for a year before making a decision. I used reflexology, acupuncture, and other alt therapy and am really happy I didn't go under the knife. Everyone's different but don't rush into it if you think you may be able to get by. I'd check this link out! It did wonders for me!
http://www.egoscue.com/

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an L5 sliped disc that would pinch a nerve down my left leg. I had surgery in 1990 and have not had any problems. I was even able to compete in power lifting after the surger and never once had any back trouble. That was even pulling a 550lb dead lift at 165lb body weight. I am very pleased with the results from my surgery and I am sure the doctors are even better now.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are not a candidate for neck or back surgery (like me) then I cannot recommend Travis Kanaly enough. He is at Integris here in OKC and the man has been a godsend to me. He is very good at pain management and more importantly, he will not waste your time. If the treatments he tries do not work for you he does not have a problem referring you out to other, equally good, pain management doctors who have other techiques to help you manage your pain and get your life back WITHOUT narcotic pain meds.

I absolutely adore him!

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanx again for the suggestions ..... Pain Management said they couldn't do much for me ...... Seems my back is kind of messed up more then I thought. I will be seeing Neurosurgeon on July 20th and will get more information then. Once again, I will listen but not act too soon, I want to consider all of the alternatives first .

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The bonati institue in Florida is the best in the world. They do the surgery while your awake and your disc's are fixed instantly if they are to where they can help you. I know mechinics that have had it done and were back t work in 3 days.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a fusion at my C5-C6. Dead guy bone and titanium. My disc was fragmented in to many pieces. I went from being almost useless (maybe completely useless and a burden) to a super ninja... HOWEVER!!!! Neck surgeries are a cakewalk to lower back. Kevin Kelly was my Dr., but he has moved back to Chicago.

My wife has problems with L4-L5, and L5-S1. She goes to physical therapy from time to time, and gets injections. Her disc is nearly back in place at L5-S1. It was bulging forward, which requires surgery from the front, when preformed. She has to make herself do the exercises, but it really helps her.

FWIW, it was probably my chiropractor that finished off my disc for me. He didn't cause it, but he sure didn't help any. Nothing hurts worse than pain!

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to voice this due to the inevitable pissing off of chiropractic fans, but will do so with the hope that at least one person will listen might be saved from it.
Similar to consulting your favorite physic, chiropractors scam you for money. That's fine & dandy, the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" is alive and well everywhere

- BUT - Chiropractic practice can be very dangerous if you have a real medical condition that needs real treatment.

Please, if you have spine injuries and are using chiropractic services - stop immediately & go back to real medicine - you are endangering yourself and risking your life.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad has had 2 surgeries at Oklahoma Spine Hospital with Dr. Remondino. http://www.oklahomaspine.com/t12.php I was very impressed with him and the spine hospital. The Oklahoma Spine Hospital is physician-owned-and-operated.
I had both of mine done at the Spine Hospital. It was a great place. They really take care of you. Dr. J. Pat Livingston was my doctor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom