Do any of you carry a rifle or shotgun in your car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the bolt locked back is a stretch. probably ok, but question of why comes to mind.

I say bolt back because there is visual confirmation that the chamber is empty. My AR-15 does not have a chamber loaded indicator.

I can also release a bolt faster than I can work the charging handle.

I would not leave it in plain sight, though.

JMHO.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its mag loaded, chamber empty, can it be within reach of the driver if driver has CCL? like in the passenger seat or right next to him or in a rifle rack hanging on the drivers door like some leo cars?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If its mag loaded, chamber empty, can it be within reach of the driver if driver has CCL? like in the passenger seat or right next to him or in a rifle rack hanging on the drivers door like some leo cars?

yes, the way I read it. However for everyones sake, please read the sda book yourself and interpete it for your own safety. it is on the osbi website for downloading.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say bolt back because there is visual confirmation that the chamber is empty. My AR-15 does not have a chamber loaded indicator.

I can also release a bolt faster than I can work the charging handle.

I would not leave it in plain sight, though.

JMHO.

all that is true, but if you have a ccw, where in ok would you need to put in service an ar that fast? I am not criticizing nor doubt the need or desire, just curious why anyone would need to deploy the rifle that quickly as to have the bolt back while in a car. And if there is a question by a leo anyone can always pull the bolt or slide slightly back or take the mag out and visually check the chamber. However there is also I am sure some scenario to disprove any logical occurence that I or anyone else comes up with.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all that is true, but if you have a ccw, where in ok would you need to put in service an ar that fast? I am not criticizing nor doubt the need or desire, just curious why anyone would need to deploy the rifle that quickly as to have the bolt back while in a car. And if there is a question by a leo anyone can always pull the bolt or slide slightly back or take the mag out and visually check the chamber. However there is also I am sure some scenario to disprove any logical occurence that I or anyone else comes up with.

It's less about need and more because I can.

It would be nice, say, when I'm at my buddies place and a little varmint bolts outta the woods. Or zombies. But ultimately, like you mentioned, I don't need a reason.

Not all cops know how to operate an AR-15. Hell, most cops I know don't. Having the bolt locked back is visual confirmation without anyone having to handle the weapon.

Of course, I keep my long gun in a quality case which is itself secured to the vehicle. I'm disappointed but not surprised that everyone's SDA class didn't cover these things.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10-4, i got you on the because I can. I was kind of concerned of the need. I see many people on this board posting paranoid ideas of must have an end of the world weapon cock/locked and setup for crew served weapons on the off chance they are attacked by airborne operators of foreign powers (red dawn) while going down I-40. Yours is very logical. Have a good monday everyone.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also agree that at least a little time could be spent ensuring that the prospective ccl's could also have a long gun available to them and how it should be carried. It is after all an extra perk to having a ccl.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would love to keep an ar or 12 gauge in the truck, but the fear of having to leave it and it getting stolen keeps em both at home. Guess I'll just stick to a couple spare mags and boxes of ammo for the pistols. Unless anyones got a for sure way to secure them to an f150?

Latest posts

Top Bottom