Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. Lots of people forgot the Israelis carried one without one in the chamber. Betcha they got in more gunfights than anyone here. It's not how I carry, but I'm not going to throw stones if that's how someone is carrying and they've trained for it. I'd wager a quality class would open a LOT of eyes/expose a number of people's thinking in general.

I would wager you won't find a single trainer anywhere that would advocate carrying without a round chambered. There are just way too many scenarios that would result in your death if you didn't have a round chambered, and plenty of videos online to back that up.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would wager you won't find a single trainer anywhere that would advocate carrying without a round chambered. There are just way too many scenarios that would result in your death if you didn't have a round chambered, and plenty of videos online to back that up.

Like it or not, it worked for... or still does work for them? Online videos vs real world can be quite a contrast lol. I'm not sure who would teach it, it wouldn't change a whole lot from a lot of techniques I've learned locally, but I'm not the expert. I know the Israelis taught it though. :D

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to say if it worked or not as they really haven't shared any data on it that I know of, but they certainly did teach it. They taught that on the draw stroke you brought the pistol up to eye level, turned it on its side to rack it with a push pull motion, then build your grip and shoot. They were very specific about not reaching over the top to rack, as you didn't have good leverage and it blocked your view of the target. They sent some guys to Gunsite to get training and that is where it was demoed to me. They were fast at it out in the open, but when we put them in cars or confined spaces not so very good, but they did teach it.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read that after Isreal became a country in 1947, they needed to equip their soldiers, cops, Mossad agents with any and all donated, bought, beg borrowed, stolen, captured weapons. The 'cycle the slide on the draw" presentation was adopted to cover all types of semi-autos acquired. NO external safety, slide mounted safety, frame mounted safety and how about the Berreta model 951 Briggadier(forgot how to spell that), crossbolt safety. I could understand pistol instructors just telling everybody, full magazine, ignore any safety, rack the slide sharply on the draw, barrel pointing downrange.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any carry gun has a round chambered, no manual safety on striker fired but on a 1911 or Beretta 92 the safety is engaged and easily deactivated on drawing and taking sight picture.

corneileous

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems there are a lot of different opinions about the safety aspects of carrying a handgun with a round chambered.

One school of thought is if there is a threat it happens fast and you may not have time or a free hand to cycle a slide. Do you carry with the guns safety engaged? As you all know, there are some handguns that do not have a safety and are meant to be carried hot.

The alternate is no round chambered which limits the chance for a negligent discharge and it is considered by some to be much safer.

And then there is the revolver where the only safety is the long trigger pull.

Lots of variations here, do you carry hot, do you use the safety if your gun has one?
What is your preference and why?

Every one of my carry pistols are hammer-fired, DA/SA so they get carried round in the chamber, hammer decocked and safety off. Any of my three Beretta PX4’s have all been converted to type G’s so they no longer even have a safety. The Springfield XDE is a little different that allows safety off, hammer decocked but in order to cater to the 1911 guys, it can be carried the same way with hammer cocked and safety on. I carry it just as I would with any of my Storms.

I guess people can have their own opinions but to me a pistol carried with an empty chamber is essentially an unloaded gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom