Do you close your bedroom door at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We built a new home about 3 years ago and for the first 6 months or so I don't think I had a single good nights sleep. We have a lot of western red cedar beams in the house and those damned things checked and popped for several months. They sound like a 12 gauge going off when they pop, too! I guess the combination of the beams getting settled and us getting used to the new digs finally allowed some rest...

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I first moved into my current house. After I moved in, randomly a loud popping noise would wake me up startled. After a few weeks I got feed up with it and tracked the noise down (took a lot of waiting as the nose would only happen once a hour or so) in my attic. The culprit was the box above one of my air duct registers in the next room over (where the flex duct tied in). The box had a bend/crease in it and would pop in and out during the night as the air temperature dropped.

I can't tell you have many time I grabbed my 12 gauge next to the bed. lol :D

LOL, I sleep with the door open. But I do own a dog that is pretty aware. When we first moved into our house we had to buy a new refrigerator. Bought one with a ice despencer, thought it would be cool, never had one before with an ice despencer. Well I remember the first night I was up about every 20 min responding to a crashing sound with my flashlight and pistol. Funny thing was is I guess the dog figuered it out before me cause she slept like a baby. Finally I figured it out....lol

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a kiddo in another room, we sleep with the door open. Even if the house were empty I'd prefer to sleep with the door open any way, I always did when I was living alone. I'd prefer to be able to hear somebody on the other side of my house when I have time to prepare for it rather than when they're opening my bedroom door.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We keep our bedroom pulled close to being shot but not latched. That way the dogs can get outside through the doggie door and back into their beds in the bedroom. However, at night I leave my safe unlocked so I have quick and easy access to anything I need (flashlight or rubber band projectile thingy). We do have an ADT monitored alarm system so if anyone so much as cracks a door or window it's going off but not before one of our 2 beagles goes berserk.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Our door is always open, had a tresspasser that dogs alerted us to. I aint slept good since then.
Between ice makers, flushing toilets, a/c, dogs barking, cars passing by and a limb that needs trimming i havent slept soundly since december.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sleep with the door open. I am a light sleeper and like to be able to hear what's going on in the house. I have a large black Doberman that sleeps (and blends in) on our black microfiber couch in the living room. He's down right anti-social so I'm sure I'd find out quick if someone entered that half of the house. I hear his necklace if he gets up off the couch and that's rare overnight. I also want to know if my 5 year old comes out of his bedroom. We keep a baby gate in the hall so the kid stays in the back of the house and the dog stays in the front. For someone to make it to my bedroom door without me knowing, there have been many things gone wrong. And I'm more interested in exiting my bedroom silently than the possibly of someone entering silently.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the BEST advice for night time security.

I had a similar incident with noises in the middle of the night once. I heard glass break, and I jumped out of bed, grabbed a Glock 32 off my nightstand, and went window to window, prepared to kill an intruder.

All the windows were sound, and most mysteriously of all, my dogs were both in an unalarmed state. I thought I must have been dreaming, so I went to the bathroom to wash my face. I flipped on the light, and there on the sink counter was a shattered light bulb! Apparently, the glass bulb had come loose from the socket, and it had fallen out of the track lighting and splattered right there on the counter.

Gravity. And a defective light bulb.

Sounds like you need some better watch dogs. I've got dogs and sleep with the door open so they can go ring a bell and let me know if they need to go out in the middle of the night. Also so they and I can hear if anything is going on.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the BEST advice for night time security.

I had a similar incident with noises in the middle of the night once. I heard glass break, and I jumped out of bed, grabbed a Glock 32 off my nightstand, and went window to window, prepared to kill an intruder.

All the windows were sound, and most mysteriously of all, my dogs were both in an unalarmed state. I thought I must have been dreaming, so I went to the bathroom to wash my face. I flipped on the light, and there on the sink counter was a shattered light bulb! Apparently, the glass bulb had come loose from the socket, and it had fallen out of the track lighting and splattered right there on the counter.

Gravity. And a defective light bulb.

Who you gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom