Does Military Service make you less agreeable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well said.

The older I get, the lower my tolerance for stupidity. I need to work on that, because there is a lot of stupid in this world, and I don't think it is going to get any better.

As someone once said, unfortunately, "You can't fix stupid!".

The problem with stupidity is that it is acceptable which only perpetuates it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW ... for years and years I just thought it was hormones ... then menopause came along and I decided that it wasn't the hormones after all, but the lack of them ... Now I'm starting to think that grumpy is just in my DNA ...

OK, seriously now. I've been that way for years and years and years. Being a single mom with 3 boys, no child support and no help from either family (actually my family did every thing they could think of to turn my boys against me), 2 jobs and a deadbeat boyfriend will wear your tolerance level down a bit.

Now that I am older, and things are calmer at my house, I don't find myself to be less "grumpy" at all. I just find myself much more capable of turning away and leaving the "stupid" where I found it. Life is too short to waste it letting some moron whose only breathing because killing him/her is illegal get under your skin. I wish I'd figured that out when I was in my 20s. I would have been a much happier person ...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW ... for years and years I just thought it was hormones ... then menopause came along and I decided that it wasn't the hormones after all, but the lack of them ... Now I'm starting to think that grumpy is just in my DNA ...

OK, seriously now. I've been that way for years and years and years. Being a single mom with 3 boys, no child support and no help from either family (actually my family did every thing they could think of to turn my boys against me), 2 jobs and a deadbeat boyfriend will wear your tolerance level down a bit.

Now that I am older, and things are calmer at my house, I don't find myself to be less "grumpy" at all. I just find myself much more capable of turning away and leaving the "stupid" where I found it. Life is too short to waste it letting some moron whose only breathing because killing him/her is illegal get under your skin. I wish I'd figured that out when I was in my 20s. I would have been a much happier person ...

If you'd have had your beers stole, some nice man would come along and replace them though.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I admit it has validity, the "been there, done that" argument wears thin after a while. We, all of us, are the sum of our life experiences...good and bad.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That statement sums me up perty good. I work with a lot of people my age (i'm 27) and they all call me the grumpy old man of the group. I just have no tolerance immaturity, especially in the work place. I am paid to do a job when I walk in the door here. Not sing and dance along to whatever song you tune your radio into. If Chard chimes in, he can tell you about the stuff we have to deal with. The irony of the story is that most of them are vets themselves!

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Military service makes men less tolerant and accommodating of undisciplined, neurotic, no-attention-to-detail civilians and the relentless barrage of frivolous crap and bu!!**** inundating society. Is that grumpy?"

HELL YES!!!! I mean...HELL NO!!!!!

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LAWL at the Internet ninja's that have never experienced the horror of seeing the person next to you evaporate in a red mist, or see their last breath with the back side of their head gone, talk about how bad a$$ they would be I'm a gunfight.

I don't know about you, but I joined the military so that others wouldn't have to see that happen. So that others would have the freedom to make outrageous claims and ****. So I don't LAWL at internet ninjas. I dismiss them, but not because they've never had to experience death.

I feel like I'm more agreeable since I joined. I've met a lot of different people in the military from all over the country, people with different religions, different socio-economic backgrounds, different culture, different ways of speaking English, different political views, and much more. The military has definitely broadened my horizons and made me more tolerant of many things, but stupidity is not one of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom