Does Military Service make you less agreeable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A bit of a stereotype perhaps, but I know I have little patience for whiners, mall ninjas, internet commandos, and especially posers! I can't stand a low-life stinkin' poser. I did 21+ years in the Marine Corps; so when someone bitches about petty crap, it does tend to get under my skin a bit. Maybe it's just oldtimer's disease kicking in.

I retired in 1997 with 21 years behind me, and still have issues with posers an whiners!!! Oh and I'm an OSA misfit!!

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm more tolerant of others than before my military service. Of course, pushing privates on the drill pad for 2 years takes a lot of the mean out of you.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For most people, once you learn to live with discipline you're less willing to tolerate lack of self control and pettish disorder.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For most people, once you learn to live with discipline you're less willing to tolerate lack of self control and pettish disorder.

That is an interesting thought. I've never been in the service (was never an option, truthfully), though I have several family members that are or are retired, and I have a huge amount of respect for the services. My father raised me with a lot of respect and discipline, and I participated in several discipline oriented sports/activities.

Needless to say, I share the same "grumpy" mentality.

Also, I've found I tend to "give a damn" a whole lot less now, then I use to. I'm sure age factors in heavily.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not less tolerant for that would show a lack of discipline on my part. If I were less tolerant I would just rip their heads off. Do they annoy me? Yes. Are they a blight on society? You bet! But I believe myself and most of my veteran brethren show amazing restraint and self-control when some pinhead starts mouthing off about things of which he has no understanding!

Latest posts

Top Bottom