Does Military Service make you less agreeable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Better" in this context connotes a sacrifice that others were not willing to make. It is not a sacrifice to go to college. I made that choice too and live with the benefits and consequences.
What I am saying is that those who choose to serve are better than those that don't, myself included.

Should we define "willing" and "sacrifice" in this context?

There has been a whole lot of changes from 1940 through today. I know a lot of people didn't choose to go into the service in WWII, but served when drafted; they never would have volunteered had they had their druthers. I also know a lot of people who chose to enlist recently (say, last 15 years) but were and are **** bags in spite of their service.

I have several cousins who joined the Navy, not because they felt some great Patriotism; but rather because it was a good career. Good benefits, retirement, and an opportunity to get out and away from some pretty wacky parents. But they sure didn't join because of any felt allegiance to the Republic. They're good kids, and I say good for them for bettering themselves.

So say some is better simply because of their service is only half of the story. It takes their doing it for the right reasons, an embracing of that opportunity, and a readiness and passion to serve their country for me to say they are "better."

I think you alluded to that in your comments, but I still feel the need to elaborate.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should we define "willing" and "sacrifice" in this context?

There has been a whole lot of changes from 1940 through today. I know a lot of people didn't choose to go into the service in WWII, but served when drafted; they never would have volunteered had they had their druthers. I also know a lot of people who chose to enlist recently (say, last 15 years) but were and are **** bags in spite of their service.

I have several cousins who joined the Navy, not because they felt some great Patriotism; but rather because it was a good career. Good benefits, retirement, and an opportunity to get out and away from some pretty wacky parents. But they sure didn't join because of any felt allegiance to the Republic. They're good kids, and I say good for them for bettering themselves.

So say some is better simply because of their service is only half of the story. It takes their doing it for the right reasons, an embracing of that opportunity, and a readiness and passion to serve their country for me to say they are "better."

I think you alluded to that in your comments, but I still feel the need to elaborate.

I agree with this. If someone has pretty much no other choice but to serve (can't afford college, can't find work) they don't automatically get to be called "better". Sorry, but attitude counts. An army ******* is still an *******.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK.....now the comments are getting dumb.....or maybe I'm just getting less agreeable. When did being in the military have anything to do with Sainthood? Some of the craziest, meanest, toughest, most rude and disagreeable bastards I have ever met were people I have met in the military. For those that haven't served...it's something special, a brotherhood. Not a place for those considering the preisthood?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK.....now the comments are getting dumb.....or maybe I'm just getting less agreeable. When did being in the military have anything to do with Sainthood? Some of the craziest, meanest, toughest, most rude and disagreeable bastards I have ever met were people I have met in the military. For those that haven't served...it's something special, a brotherhood. Not a place for those considering the preisthood?

+1 on the dumb comments.
+1 on the brotherhood.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike, I am an old retired guy, but have a little part time job which has allowed me to work with returning vets on their way to a good job. I cannot say how great these kids are, they want or wanted to serve. I love these kids so much and the thing this day despite politics, is these kids want to serve this country, and thanks for reading my RANT.

This. I got to work with some of these kiddos too. Old people who talk **** about kids these days need to meet the young men and women I know -- Many of them I met at the same place Lone Wolf did and many of them I have met through OSA. Finest group of young men and women on the planet.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chose to get an education, so that makes me a lesser person than them? No. If everyone served,there would be nobody left on the outside to make the world run.

I am not talking about being a pleasant or affable person. That has little to do with military service.

It is not a sacrifice to go to college. I made that choice too and live with the benefits and consequences.

I chose not to serve this country, benefitted myself by going to college and got what was good for ME.

EDIT:
As far as the whole "if everyone served who would make the world run" argument, it isn't logically valid. If everyone STAYED in the military, then things would go to hell in a hand basket, but if everyone served a couple of years after high school, then things would continue onward. I'm not advocating forced service, because I believe it should be a choice, but I don't agree that everyone serving would be a bad thing at all.

Since when does military service preclude one from having an education? Veterans (myself included) are no better than anyone else, but they aren't a bunch of dummies that chose not to better themselves either.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since when does military service preclude one from having an education? Veterans (myself included) are no better than anyone else, but they aren't a bunch of dummies that chose not to better themselves either.
I'm not saying they are mutually exclusive. I'm saying it's that way for some. I personally have known people who couldn't afford college and couldn't find jobs, so they enlisted. Sometimes it's a way to pay for school. Sometimes people who can't do anything else have no other option. For me, getting an education and focusing fully on that goal was the way to go. It chaps my ass that some people think that makes me a lesser person.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, getting an education and focusing fully on that goal was the way to go. It chaps my ass that some people think that makes me a lesser person.

What stopped you from serving after you'd obtained the education? Not serving in the military does NOT make you a lesser person, but saying "I wanted an education" isn't the only reason you chose not to serve either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom