Elections Should Be Suspended Says Governor of SC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps her words were incorrectly quoted. For her sake, I hope so. If not, then she has some serious issues. The apparent arrogance of her ignorance is enormous. Unbelievable to hear this coming from a person holding the office of governor.

Speaking to a Cary rotary club today, N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue suggested suspending Congressional elections for two years so that Congress can focus on economic recovery and not the next election.

"I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that," Perdue said. "You want people who don't worry about the next election."
http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/perdue_suggests_suspending_congressional_elections_for_two_years_was_she_serious

Her defense appears to be that she was just joking.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps if she took some actions to suspend elections or tried to institute a state of emergency decree but just making a remark...come on.
Don't you remember Reagan making the famous (and I paraphrase) - the Congress has just passed a bill outlawing the Soviet Union, the bombing will begin in a few minutes - remark? (he made the remarks as he was preparing to give a speech and thought that the mic was off). I recall clearly liberals going berserk and saying that Reagan was clearly nuts and was threatening to start WW-III.

So, take a deep breath, even if she meant it at that moment I'll bet she realizes now just how stupid a comment it was.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The strange thing is that several Dem politicians have suggested doing away with elections in the last several months.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't term limits serve the same purpose?

Michael

Oklahoma was one of the first states to try limiting terms, but then we realized that Congressional Committee membership was based on seniority, so we would always get the short end of the stick in that regard.

If it were implemented nationally at the Federal level, then it would work.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I support suspending government. It's completely worthless and only reduces the freedom of the individual.

They do not want to suspend government. just elections. As President Obama’s former budget director said, they need to make government a bit less democratic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom