Engraved 9mm Browning Hipower 9mm thats all I know so far help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipzmalone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some pics of a Colt my father had in his collection. Anyone have a clue exactly what I'm looking at?

Attachments

• 20220524_000647.jpg
    20220524_000647.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220524_000653.jpg
    20220524_000653.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220524_000704.jpg
    20220524_000704.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220524_000709.jpg
    20220524_000709.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220524_000715.jpg
    20220524_000715.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 79

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's a Browning Hi Power, obviously. With a lot of engraving. I would probably take it to a gun show and show it to some dealers, you *might* find one at one of the smaller ones who would have an idea, but especially if you took it to Wannenmacher's you could probably find someone who would at least have a theory.

Here is an example of one that apparently came from Browning with engraving by Augustino Loprinzi, but a quick google all I found says he made guitars. Not saying he engraved it (or that I even found the same guy), yours doesn't really look like similar style but some of these guys who specialize in Brownings, or engraving, might recognize a style and have a clue.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ning-hi-power-pistol-9mm.cfm?gun_id=101766699
I know that's not very helpful... somebody here will probably be able to point you in a direction.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stamp on the barrel indicates a 9 mm proofed in Belgium.
The slide indicates its a Browning High Power made in Belgium.
The partial serial number (69C) indicates it was made in 1969 and C is Browning's code for a high power.

Good news, its not a clone, its not zinc prop, its not a licensed copy. Its the gold standard.

I see a gold plated trigger, and a white finish on the gun, with hints of darkness in the background.
This is where we have to start asking a lot of questions.
Is it dirty stainless or plated with something?
Figure out if only the trigger is plated with a precious metal, or if the whole gun is.
Plating is thin and can ware off, especially gold and sliver.
If its stainless through and through - no worries.
If its silver, tarnishing and regular cleaning can damage it.
It does not look like nickel or chrome.

Was the gun engraved when it left the factory, or is it work that was done later?
It does not look like a cheep EDM "engraving" job that you would get on a "limited edition gun" or the Franklin Mint.
Those rarely wrap curved surfaces and I see a few other things that point to hand engraved by an good engraver.

Look it over carefully with a magnifying glass for initials of who engraved it.
A signed piece by a known engraver or factory custom shop engraver can raise the value beyond the quality of the workmanship.
From the photos I am guessing it was a custom job done after it was sold by someone unknow who engraves professionally.

Bottom line, I suspect it is a customized piece.
Your in an area where opinions on value will vary widely.
Get several from folks who have handled it.
I don't think it will send the kids to college, but its a lot more than a nice dinner out with the wife.

If you want to dispose of it, I am sure quite a few folks would be happy to help you out.

isuolympic

Marksman
Reaction score
That is an FN Belgium Factory Renaissance Browning Hi Power made in 1969 (First two digits of SN). It was the engraved version that Browning retailed in the Hi Power, 1955, 1971, Challenger, and Baby handguns. They all had the silver or coined finish. Original items that would have shipped with it are as follows.
1. Black Browning Leatherette Pouch with Gold Metal Zipper and Creme color lamb hair looking interior.
2. Browning Hi Power owner's manual.
3. 1-13rd Magazine.
Some of these are signed by the engraver, some are not. I bought one at the last Tulsa show for $3000. Your gun looks all original from the pictures. Be careful with the grips, they are hard to find.
That is a very nice gun that you have.

Last edited:

isuolympic

Marksman
Reaction score
One other thing.

DO NOT clean the shallow dark areas. They were made to be this color to make the engraving stand out. If you go to Art's Gun Shop Youtube videos, he has a neat one where he restores a Renaissance Challenger and details how he restores the finish on these.

I apply Renaissance (no connection to Browning) Wax to mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom