Erin Brockovich speaks in Duncan about water situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
July 27, 2011
Brockovich questions facts about well water situation

Toni Hopper The Duncan Banner The Duncan Banner Wed Jul 27, 2011, 10:08 AM CDT

DUNCAN — Around 400 people were in attendance Tuesday night to hear Erin Brockovich discuss perchlorate contamination affecting private water wells in the area of Fifth Street and Osage Road.

Brockovich struck an immediate chord with the crowd by telling them her mother was from Ponca City. But the famed legal clerk and environmental activist followed up by pulling few punches.

In addressing the serious nature of the contamination that’s now been discovered in over 30 wells, Brockovich said, “The science goes right out the door. Frankly, there is no kind way to put it, you’re being poisoned.

“You already know the answer — your gut Midwest common sense. People will come to me, confused, they don’t know what to do. You have a right to clean land, clean water.”

The perchlorate was discovered in the private wells in early July, following Department of Environmental Quality testing by Halliburton. At that time, Halliburton took responsibility for being the source of the contamination, noting the creation of perchlorate was linked to company-owned property on Fifth Street.

The land was the site of a project involving removal and burning of spent missile fuel contained in missile casings. The project was awarded to Halliburton in 1965 and came to an end in 1991.

During the public meeting at Simmons Center, Brockovich challenged some of the information residents have received from Halliburton and other sources.

She said many people know something isn’t right in their community, when they have neighbors who all begin to have the same illnesses.

“I’ve been doing (investigative environmental work) for 22 years and we just naturally, in our communities, know,” she noted. “How many of you have thyroid problems, cancer, lumps in your neck or breasts?

Brockovich then questioned some of the results from testing being done on wells in the Fifth and Osage area.

“Something’s wrong out here,” she said. “When you have 27,000 parts (perchlorate) per billion — I was stunned. We zig-zag all over the country and this is the highest reading percentage ever, ever, seen in groundwater.

“Everybody should be getting clean water from Halliburton. You deserve that. This didn’t just show up yesterday.”

While fielding questions, Brockovich suggested Halliburton, despite it’s claims of “transparency,” was not distributing all the facts to the public.

At one point she said, “They’ve known since 1991 they’ve been poisoning you. It’s criminal and they’ve been covering it up.”

Many wanted to know if the water was safe to drink or use in any form, even for livestock.

“Having grown up in Kansas (and) seeing a tornado, I didn’t care if it was an F1 or F5, I knew to run,” she said. “(The contaminated water is) poison. I wouldn’t [use it].”

Brockovich, who was the subject of an award-winning movie in 2000, was accompanied to Duncan by attorneys from Weitz & Luxenberg’s Environmental Tors Unit, and Robert Bowcock, environmental investigator.

Bowcock told the audience perchlorate is an ion that will “attach to anything.” He said it accumulates in the thyroid.

Repeating a warning first distributed by Halliburton and medical experts at the company’s public meeting, Bowcock said, “Pregnant women, don’t drink it. It will do significant damage to children. Avoid at all cost.”

After Halliburton went public on July 7 with its findings from the well water testing, the company hosted a public meeting on July 19, which drew an estimated 350 people. The company brought in experts from the DEQ to discuss the history of the contamination and the testing that is continuing.

At that meeting, there was medical and other information distributed, including a list of potential health problems and warnings to avoid using the contaminated water for a variety of activities.

During Tuesday’s meeting, Brockovich called for continued transparency on the part of Halliburton.

Before Brockovich addressed the crowd, Bowcock shared a history of perchlorate and its association with the U.S. Department of Defense. He and Brockovich also confirmed one reason they had taken an interest in the Duncan situation was receiving numerous emails from people in the community.

“This is by far the highest (perchlorate) contamination of ground water we’ve ever seen,” Bowcock said, adding that when there is a two parts per billion reading, doctors usually are concerned. To find 27,000 ppb is “horrific.”

“This is the beginning of an environmental investigation. We’re kinda doing a ‘Hinkley 2’” he said, making reference to the situation involving Pacific Gas & Electric in Hinkley, Calif., that brought Brockovich to prominence in the 1990s.

Brockovich told the crowd that Duncan is now the 901st dot on a map she has been keeping to record communities which have become contamination dumping grounds for a variety of chemicals and pollutants.

Brockovich said, “That map is telling us a story. Somebody’s not listening. We have health-failing communities.

“We have companies who need to make it right by you. You need to stay united. Respect is something we are starting to lose in this country. We are in peril.

“This is a complex situation that exists under our feet. Don’t give up.

“As a community, look united and have spokespeople at the meetings. This is where you can’t give up.”

http://duncanbanner.com/local/x1452092999/Brockovich-questions-facts-about-well-water-situation

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks, its hard to survive without water. I try not to drink Norman water either, I just dont know if they ever "cleaned" the water, mainly Arsenic and Hexavalent chromium I think, but there are many other nasty chems too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom