Facebook gun sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone asks you to sign a bill of sale for the gun that indicates you're NOT a prohibited possessor is that acceptable?

Am I just throwing my signature on a piece of paper that says I am not a prohibited person? I guess that would depend. I'm doubting so, though. I certainly wouldn't put anything else on it other than my name.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that until it's a legal requirement that it shouldn't be "required" and if the seller wants to go that route they need to be up front about it.

Would you sign a bill of sale if no pictures of your ID/SDA license were taken?

Or if the bill of sale only included your name and SDA license #?
No to any license number. You don't have a right to my license number. Not YOU "you", but general person "you". As in, no one has a right to that.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your irritation pales in comparison to sitting in the hall of the federal courthouse waiting to answer questions in front of the grand jury

If I have done nothing wrong or illegal, I have no reason to be afraid of a grand jury.

"Where did you get the gun?"

"I bought it from a guy in a parking lot, in accordance with the law."

"What did you do with the gun?"

"I sold it to a guy in a parking lot, in accordance with the law."

If I don't have any other information to provide, I don't have any information. I've broken no laws. If someone else used that gun in a crime, well, that's on them. The odds that any subsequent crime or previous crime would have any connection to me, that I would have no alibi or any potential reason to be implicated are so far beyond astronomical as to be ridiculous.

So, no, my personally identifiable information won't be going on any receipts. I DO keep a record of guns I've owned, bought and sold (although the latter are EXTREMELY rare) and it gives general information as to the dispensation of what happened to said firearm. That's it.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a Sig ( don't remember the model ), from a dealer at a Tulsa show. Did the 4473 thing, and then some time later sold it to an individual at another Tulsa show. A few years later I received a call from an ATF agent asking about the gun. It had been found at a crime scene in Hawaii. I keep a record of when I purchase and sell, without any names, etc. I told them when I purchased it, and that I sold it to an individual on a certain date, and that ended the conversation. No grand jury!

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I just throwing my signature on a piece of paper that says I am not a prohibited person? I guess that would depend. I'm doubting so, though. I certainly wouldn't put anything else on it other than my name.

More or less signing to state that you aren't a prohibited possessor . . . evidence of the date of sale for the seller.

I totally get your side of this and agree that until we're required by law to complete BGCs for private sales it is a moot point, but I would think that providing a signature or SDA license number to a seller wouldn't be that huge of an issue for me if I truly wanted to buy from them. I appreciate the POV that no records need to exist for a private transaction as well.

I've sold half a dozen lowers or other firearms privately over the years and could possibly find the dates sold, but didn't keep names or anything myself.

I think I've only bought or traded for 2 firearms privately . . . knew one of the sellers and not the other. Neither cared to document the transaction. Fine with me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. I have bought privately a ton, but only sold a handful. Actually.... I think I've SOLD 2, and traded 3 or 4. That's it. I just don't need the money bad enough to get rid of some of my prized possessions. lol

Anyone need a kid or a wife, though??? Maybe a dog or a couple of pissy-assed cats???

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a Sig ( don't remember the model ), from a dealer at a Tulsa show. Did the 4473 thing, and then some time later sold it to an individual at another Tulsa show. A few years later I received a call from an ATF agent asking about the gun. It had been found at a crime scene in Hawaii. I keep a record of when I purchase and sell, without any names, etc. I told them when I purchased it, and that I sold it to an individual on a certain date, and that ended the conversation. No grand jury!
I've had a similar experience. Sold a pistol that was used to shoot at the police during a robbery. Had a short phone call with a detective and never heard another word about it. I had no information about the buyer, no problem.

I'm with the doc, if you're not an FFL, you aren't getting any personal information.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had an individual take a picture of my drivers licence with their phone. Looking back on it, I should have told him no and asked for my gun back and kept it. I dont do bills of sale and I dont want people taking down my info. Its cash and carry.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those who have received calls from law enforcement asking about a particular gun: How did they know to call you? When you sold the gun, did you give your personal information to the buyer?
There is no registry in Oklahoma or at the Federal level (excluding NFA items). How did they have your information?

Latest posts

Top Bottom