Facebook!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirge

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The web developer in me says fix it. But I'm OCD as can be when it comes to this stuff. I'd just put the FB button in a container div right next to login form, position absolute, and use margin-left & margin-top to position it "relative" to the login form... if IE7. Conditional stylesheets aren't my favorite, but w/e.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's either an on or off thing site wide. I'm a bit hesitant to start modifying the site templates to accommodate a single bug in a specific version of outdated browser software. I realize that people may be attached to running old software and not want to upgrade but the current version of IE is version 9. At least version 8 would be good since it's a couple years old now or so. (IE7 came out in 2006.)

The bottom line is what is the current impact with this and do we need to just turn it all off to maintain compatibility with older browser software?

The reason I ask is not IE7 compatibility, but situations where it could cause trouble for people who access the site from their workplace.

The way to do it would be to let a user set a variable in their profile, and then check for that variable. However, I'm not a vBulletin dev and therefore don't know exactly what to do off the top of my head.

As for IE7, it can be fixed with a conditional stylesheet or possibly with some overrides of the existing stylesheet. However, I don't agree with Mirge's idea of absolute positioning+margins.

Mirge

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I ask is not IE7 compatibility, but situations where it could cause trouble for people who access the site from their workplace.

The way to do it would be to let a user set a variable in their profile, and then check for that variable. However, I'm not a vBulletin dev and therefore don't know exactly what to do off the top of my head.

As for IE7, it can be fixed with a conditional stylesheet or possibly with some overrides of the existing stylesheet. However, I don't agree with Mirge's idea of absolute positioning+margins.

Might I ask what's wrong w/ it?

Mirge

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possible issues can arise if more additions are made to the login form area. I prefer a solution that allows for future changes without having to go back and fix the fix.

Sorry, I think we are miscommunicating or misinterpreting.

If you put <div id="facebook_login">...</div> before the list that contains login form, notifications, profile, etc... and (as an example) applied the following CSS:

#facebook_login { position: absolute; margin-left: -100px; /* shift div to left enough for image width + some buffer room */ }

It would be in the correct position regardless of resolution and browser. I've used this technique many, many times over the years to avoid creating separate stylesheets for IE.

Adding items to the list would not affect the Facebook icon, it would still retain its correct positioning by moving to the left as needed because of the CSS rule.. without any adjustments or "fixes" needed for the fix.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree as long as 8 doesn't have the issue.

Either way, it's not a problem for me. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint you raised about wanting to ensure more potential members are reached.

I'm just happy that OSA exists. Period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom