Facebook!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate supporting Microsnots implementation of HTML their browsers always have problems.

It's IE7 only.

There's been a few times when a deadline loomed that I had something working perfectly in IE7 but couldn't reproduce it in IE8 (miraculous, I know). IE7 forced compatibility meta-tag FTW (with a patch later, of course).

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Facebook is also blocked by lots of organizations content filters , thus each facebook like button at the top of a thread is blocked and causes a log entry for attempted blocked content access.
If it goes on for too long IT here where I work will catch it and start looking at where I surf and block this site. It has happened with other forums.

Kelly: How easy would it be to enable it only after a user has chosen to do so?

Kelly Drown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kelly: How easy would it be to enable it only after a user has chosen to do so?

It's either an on or off thing site wide. I'm a bit hesitant to start modifying the site templates to accommodate a single bug in a specific version of outdated browser software. I realize that people may be attached to running old software and not want to upgrade but the current version of IE is version 9. At least version 8 would be good since it's a couple years old now or so. (IE7 came out in 2006.)

The bottom line is what is the current impact with this and do we need to just turn it all off to maintain compatibility with older browser software?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for me, it's not any impact that i can't work around. login can be done other ways, i'm sure i can check notifications from my user page too.

7 and 8 are both xp products and you can't have 9 unless you have vista or win7 so i'd say there probably are a bunch of people running them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
for me, it's not any impact that i can't work around. login can be done other ways, i'm sure i can check notifications from my user page too.

7 and 8 are both xp products and you can't have 9 unless you have vista or win7 so i'd say there probably are a bunch of people running them.

IE8 solves the problem; so even XP users can update from IE7 and eliminate the issue.

Also, both FireFox and Chrome do not exhibit this behavior, and both run (better than IE7 or 8 IMnotsoHO) on XP.

So the only reason to continue to "work around" this problem is some personal attachment to IE7, or a business environment where the user can't update software.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Also, best I can tell, any resolution settings 1280 or wider do not exhibit this behavior. Most modern computers therefore will not have an issue. Netbooks, smartphones, or older computers are where the problem will arise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom