Fawns are dropping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
jumped a fawn up sunday at my lease... watched it run around in the weeds a while but the mom was no where to be found?

That's normal. She wouldn't be too far though. They leave them to themselves because they can hide better than momma can. They come back to check and nurse them regularly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly.
I was driving the back side of the plant this morning, and saw a doe by herself. She kind of spooked, and ran off. She ran the opposite direction of the fawn laying at the edge of the brush. I was just lucky the light was good, or I'd have never seen the fawn.

N2Guns

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
hay baling is another enemy of the fawn. So many babies are gnarled by those machines. It is a gruesome reality. Would be nice if the drivers could somehow get someone to walk or ride ahead of the machine . . . . . .

and I agree with the summer sausage and chili post. The newborns have a soft spot in my heart, but I LOVE me some deer chili!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a dead fawn in my front yard right now. (have to dispose of it in the morning). Second one in the last couple of weeks that has wondered onto my place looking for momma. The dogs sure enjoyed them.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I was out fishing bout a week ago. All of a sudden, I can't find my dog. Then I hear a horrible scream. I went into the trees hollerin at ole Ruger(that's dog's name). And I found him chewin on newborn baby fawn. I was so pissed at him! I'm the one who is sposed to kill deer. And at least I have the decency to wait a few years. He had bit it's neck and it was bleeding bad. :( So I had to put the poor thing down. Heard momma bleatin in the woods the rest of the evening. :( So Ruger stays at the house when I go fishing now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom