Fiddleback bite......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im pretty sure i got bit on the upper, inner, thigh by a fiddleback. yesterday i felt this burning/tingling feeling on my thigh, but i never even looked at it. it wasnt really painful or anything like that, so i drank another beer and went on about my business. this morning it felt a little sensitive and it looks like a pimple. like a white spot in the middle and darkened red skin around it and seems to be getting a little bigger as the day goes on. from what ive read, all the doctor will do is give some antibiotics so it doesnt get infected. i figured i would just wait a few days and see what it does and then decide if i need to go to the doctor. anyone else ever been bitten, any advice?

HSIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im pretty sure i got bit on the upper, inner, thigh by a fiddleback. yesterday i felt this burning/tingling feeling on my thigh, but i never even looked at it. it wasnt really painful or anything like that, so i drank another beer and went on about my business. this morning it felt a little sensitive and it looks like a pimple. like a white spot in the middle and darkened red skin around it and seems to be getting a little bigger as the day goes on. from what ive read, all the doctor will do is give some antibiotics so it doesnt get infected. i figured i would just wait a few days and see what it does and then decide if i need to go to the doctor. anyone else ever been bitten, any advice?

Been bitten twice, have the doc check it now.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soak a wash cloth in HOT water and place it on the bite. Keep doing it. Then get to a doctor. IF it was a fiddleback it will start to show a necrosis soon. You don't want that. Necrosis happens as the poison spreads to healthy tissue and causes it to die. The sooner you get treatment the better off you are.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting in asap. The reason fiddle backs are dangerous is their toxin is cytotoxic meaning it breaks down the connective tissue. On top of this, they can carry staph bacteria and the combo of the toxin + staph can result in devastating injuries if not treated promptly.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you even think it was a spider bite...more or less a fiddleback...go see a doctor...asap.

I can never remember....black widow/sick and fiddleback/loss of skin or is it the other way?

I had a friend bit by some type of spider and he lost a fist size of muscle,skin grew back over
it. He teases people that he was shot by a .410

Seriously go see a doctor or call a health clinic...describe you symptoms and follow instructions.

Cohiba

Bigsaxy1270

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the doctor NOW!!! My friend got bit by a fiddleback last week and let it go a few days. Needless to say he was off of work for about a week because they had to cut out the dead tissue area and he was on IV antibiotic drips for several days to counteract the poison.

Go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not an easy way to tell what bit you unless you saw the critter that did it. Doctors and ERs have antivenom for poisonous animals, but will be reluctant to pump you full of it unless it's confirmed what bit you, even if you swear you saw what it was but were unable to bring it in for verification. Other bugs can leave bite marks similar to fiddlebacks, like wolf spiders for example.

Either way, you'll need a doctor to at least look at and treat the flesh wound.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Often people confuse bites with a bacterial infection, i.e. MRSA. I have had MRSA infections a couple times, it's as bad or worse than a bite.

So get checked, either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom